Who I'm Working Towards

~Sapphire's POV~

I sweep up the broken glass and cracked frame and place it in the trash. I put the broom away and go back to the shelf, picking up the photo off the ground. I really liked this picture...

I grab a mug from the kitchen, fill it with water and put it in the microwave. Too lazy to make tea properly. Once I finish making my tea I sit at the table with the picture in my hands. 

This was taken when I was 5. It was a family reunion held at my old house. Everyone was coming down from Europe to visit us. Dad wanted to grill all the food so we to start early before anyone could get there. He loved to cook even though he wasn't that good. Always said he needed to be able to cook dinner for those nights when mom was too tired to cook. He would always burn the food so mom and I got him a timer watch that we made him wear when he cooked. He didn't wear it that day and burned the corn.

I was so excited that day.  I was going to see all my cousins and aunts and uncles. They all loved me. We were a close family...

Mom dressed me that day after I told her I wanted to look just like her. She was beautiful. She was everything I wanted to be. Strong. Caring. Bubbly. Happy... Everything good was in my mom. She set the camera up to take pictures at random moments. She said this was her favorite photo. It's mine too. 

A tear falls onto the photo. Oh? Haha, I didn't even realize I was crying. 

This was my absolute favorite day. My farthest memory. I even still have my moms dress and my dad's stupid timer watch.

"I-I miss you guys so much..." I lay my head on my arms and begin to sob. What's wrong with me? I haven't cried about them in so long. But they were all I had...

"Sapphire?" Ruby's here. I forgot. I look up at her and her face drops at the sight of mine. I start to cry even harder. 

"Sapphy..." She walks over to me and holds me tightly. I fall into her embrace and cry into her shoulder. "I-I miss them s-so much Ruby." I hiccup while I cry.

"Shhh it's okay, I know," she tells me softly. Ruby picks me up and takes me to the couch. She sits me on her lap and holds me while I continue to cry in the crook of her neck. I have no idea what's happening. I can't control my tears. 

She pets my head lightly and is rocking me. She's so sweet. I seriously don't know what I'd do without her. 

"It's okay Sapphire. Everything's okay. I've got you." She squeezes me tighter as I finally begin to calm down just a little bit.

"That picture was my favorite day Ruby," I say through tears.

"I know I'm so sorry," her voice is still gentle and unshaken as she continues to rock us slightly.

"When-when they died, and my memory recovered I cried for days. I was so depressed Ruby. And so alone. All my family is out of the country. Not a single one is here. I was s-so alone. I miss them so much." I continue to cry for a little more and decide to stop fighting it and let it all out. Ruby stays silent and continues to comfort me. I know she thinks this is her fault.

I slide off her lap but keep my legs over hers. She looks at my face and wipes the last few tears off my face.  I grab her hands and hold them. I-I just need some stability right now.

"After a while, I realized that my parents wouldn't want me to be so sad for this long. They always told me that it's okay to be sad, but you need to remember to pick up your head as soon as possible. If you're sad for too long, you'll never be happy again. I didn't want that. I wanted to be happy. It was just so hard you know? I lost both my parents at the same time. 

"When school started for the next year, I was bullied but Pearl defended me. Ever since I've been focusing on my grades and school and reading books. My parents wanted me to be successful but for the most part, they just wanted me to grow up to be happy. So I work hard, every day, to create a future they wanted me to have. A happy one."

Ruby gives me a small smile. "They must've been amazing parents." 

"Yeah, they were. They didn't deserve to die. It was too early for them. They really were a great team. Both as parents and as a couple." Ruby nods. 

"You know, I've been working so hard for happiness ever since. But I never really felt like I was making any progress. Yeah, I have good grades and college offers, but I had nothing to actually get to. No end goal." 

I pause.

"But now when I think of it, I might know what I'm working towards. Who I'm working towards."

I look at Ruby and she smiles softly. "You."

She chuckles and looks down with a smile before looking back at me. "I really hope that gets you where you want to be. To happiness."

"It will." I lean and kiss her again, my hand resting on her cheek. 

"With that Ruby," I start, pulling away, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

She smirks and pecks my lips again. "I thought you said after date number two?"

"Oh shut up already and say yes." I roll my eyes.

"Shut up or say yes?" Ok, we can play that game.

"You can leave," I start to get up but she pulls me back down by hugging my waist.

"Okay okay! Yes. I will be your girlfriend Sapphire."

"Good," I lean over her and push her onto the couch. "Because I wasn't taking no for an answer." And then I kiss her again like last time. Deep and emotional. Her back rests against the armrest while her arms hold my waist again. I'm trying to keep myself stable by holding onto the back of the couch and the cushion.

It doesn't work.

My hands slip and I fall out of the kiss and onto her chest. 

"OwwwwWWWWW! You landed on my bad side Sapphire," she groans as I laugh and sit up. 

"Not funny," she looks at me with a pout before laughing too. "We should go to bed, it's late."

I sigh, "Yeah it is, come on." I grab her hand and lead her to my bedroom. "You could stay in here with me or stay in the extra room. Either is fine." Please stay here with me.

"Here is fine." YES! "Okay."

"Do we just-"

"Yep."

"O-kay." She's so awkward. I slide into bed first and she follows. "We're having a sleepover, Ruby. Not sex. Relax."

She blushes at my bluntness and chuckles a little. I scoot closer to her and she puts her arms around me and holds me.

"See? This is nice."

"Yeah... Sapphire? I'm sorry about today. With the bomb drop about me being in a gang and then those stupid guys and then breaking your picture. This day didn't turn out as ideal as I wanted it to for you."

I look up at her. "Are you kidding me? Today was amazing. That diner was so cool and you totally defended my honor against those guys. I got to see badass Ruby. Which was pretty hot." She blushes again and hides her face in the pillow. "Sapphy..."

I giggle a little. "And then I got my first kiss-"

"I was your first kiss?!" She looked so surprised. I just nod my head and try to keep from smiling but fail. "W-was it good?"

"The best." She smiles and looks down again to hide her face.

"And then at the end of the day, I gained a girlfriend. So yeah. This day was amazing. Thank you." I kiss her nose and then she kisses my lips quickly. How many times have I kissed her today? I don't care, I just can't get over her.

"Now go to sleep. I'm tired."

She laughs quietly. "Okay Sapphy. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Ruby."