Talks

~Ruby's POV~

"You are receiving a call from the Chowchilla Central California Women's Facility. Would you like to accept this call?"

"Yes." 

A clicking sound is heard before I hear her voice. "Hello?"

I clear my throat before speaking. "Mom?"

"Ruby. Hi baby. It's been so long." My mom. Her voice sounds so broken and tired. She never calls me.

"Hi, momma. What- What's going on? You never call me. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine baby girl. I just missed you so much. How are you doing? Tell me what's going on with you. How's school? Any girls?" I hear her soft cracked laugh through the phone. I can tell something is going on with her. Our entire relationship is made of phone calls so we've memorized the ticks of each other's voices.

This is all so confusing but I'm just really glad I'm talking to her. It's been months since I've been allowed to visit.

"I'm doing okay mom, there's been a lot going on here. With the Diamonds. It's scary almost because there's supposed to be this big deal with a gunfight but I just found that out before this call. Things are going downhill without you here mom. As always."

"I'm so sorry baby. But I want you to stay out of that fight. You'll break your dad and I's heart if something happened to you."

I scoff. "Dad couldn't give two shits about me."

"Ruby watch your mouth. And that's not true. Your dad loves you with all his heart. It's just hard to notice. But trust me he loves you." I wish I could believe her. Everything he does and says proves the opposite.

"But tell me about school! How's that going? You're about to be a sophomore right?" 

"No mom we just finished Junior year today. I'll be a Senior next year."

She's silent for a moment and I hear a faint sniffle. "Mom?"

"Oh, it's fine Ruby. I just forget how big and grown up my baby is already. I wish I could see you graduate."

"You'll get out before then right?" She's supposed to be out the April before I graduate. I don't know why she wouldn't be able to see me then.

"I don't know Ruby... They're trying to dig up more stuff. Things to hold me here longer. I have no defenses. Your father isn't really the kind of person to be able to get me a lawyer too."

"What? Mom, they can't do that. You've been in there for so long already!" I start to tear up. I swear I love my mom so much and this stupid government took her away from me. I wasn't able to grow up with her guidance and now they want to keep me even farther from her. This isn't fair.

Soft footsteps approach me. "Ruby? Are you okay?" Sapphire comes from the back and rests a hand on my shoulder. I just turn and nod to her.

"Ruby, who's that?" I hear the phone say. I laugh a little. Mom has no idea about Sapphire.

I put the phone on speaker. "Mom, this is my beautiful girlfriend, Sapphire." Sapphy blushes a little.

"Hello Mrs. Burns," she says politely into the phone.

"Girlfriend!?" Sapphire looks at me worriedly. I smile at her and mouth 'it's okay'.

"Yeah, mom. We've been together since April. It's been almost 3 months now."

"OH my goodness! This is the longest relationship you've had baby!" My mom squeals. Sapphire giggles at the confession.

"Mom. Really?"