6

THE SIXTH CHAPTER;
_____________________

I knew what he  just got outta the cooler meant

I knew what he just got outta the cooler meant. He was hauled into jail.

He must have—had to have—been the one my aunt said she heard about, and he's definitely the one she told me I need to stay away from. I've heard a lot about him; probably more than what I know to be true.

I know there's a difference between Greaser's and straight up hoods. I've heard that he is only compassionate for his Greaser buddies; but as wild as the downtown outfits. I don't know how much I can truly believe, but, looking at him, you can just tell.

Dallas Winston does look mean. His eyes were wild and angry; more wild than anything. They were cold and filled with so much hatred. It seems like it's there for more than just the Socs. Like he hates the entire world and everyone else in it. You can literally tell by the way he walks that he's angry.

He seemed like something was a bit off, though. I know all the Greaser's hate the Socs, but he looked like he wanted 'em dead. Like he'd have no remorse if he got ahold of one. He had revengeful eyes. The Socs' must've done him dirty, real good.

Body language doesn't lie.

I heard about his life up in New York. I was still young and don't remember much. So was he, though. I remember when he arrived here, but not much else.

My aunt told me specifically about Dallas Winston. He's got a record and does things like he's just asking to get arrested. He gets drunk, steals, fights, and she even said he'd hurt little kids.
I don't know how much of that is true, but from looking at him I don't doubt it.

I sound like such a hypocrite now. Think about how I had told Two-Bit not to judge a book by it's cover for how he was treating me.

I don't blame the hate in Dallas' eyes, though. I know what's it's like to really hate something. To want it completely out of your life. It can drive you to do things and drive you insane. Whether it's hurting others, completely rebelling, or hurting yourself. I've done a little bit of all of them, and I bet he has too.

Thinking about all that, the gang yelling at me for being out alone, and the trauma from what I had just endured, was making my headache worse, I was already feeling kinda dizzy. "S-Soda?" I mutter a curse as I press my hand to my forehead, and I squeeze my eyes shut. The dizziness was getting worse. "Sodapop?"

"Yeah, Rosie? I'm right here." I hear Soda, and feel his hand on my shoulder. But, that's about all I can remember.

I wake up on a couch. It took a second for my eyes to adjust to realize that I'm on the Curtis' couch. I closed my eyes again and rubbed my temples. My head was absolutely throbbing.

I open up my eyes again; Sodapop's face was right up in mine, but he looked upside down. He grinned. "Well look who decided to finally wake up."

He pushed on my back to help me sit up, and I look at him slowly. I felt real confused, at first. I couldn't really remember what happened. I've felt like I laid here and slept for days. All I knew then was my head hurt and I was real thirsty.

"What's the matter?" Sodapop handed me a glass with water in it. It's like he read my mind.

I took a sip of the water before finally speaking. "Wh-What happened?"

"You must've hit your head real hard when the Socs took you down." Soda looked behind him.

"Had to of." Darry added, and when I glanced at him he was standing right behind Soda. He looked down at me, "You remember it, kid?"

"I-I," My eyebrows knit together, "I think so." Everything was such a blur I honestly couldn't remember that second.

"It's real late, y'know." Darry looked down at his watch. "You oughta just stay here with us tonight."

"What d-day is it?" I say, sitting up straight. When I did that I felt a sharp pain. "Is it a-a school night?"

"Yep." Darry rose an eyebrow.

"M-My aunt." I sigh heavily, looking up at Sodapop who had a concerned look back in his eyes. "I can't. Sh-She'll get mad at me."

"I'm sure she'll underst–"

"N-No! No she won't." I cut Sodapop off, shaking me my head. He jumped at me slightly raising my voice. I didn't want to tell them how badly she hated all of them. It made me sick to even think about so I sure don't wanna talk about it.

My head hurt so badly, and I felt sick to my stomach.

"You should stay home from school tomorrow anyways." Darry nodded his head, his voice kind of sounding like an overprotective way–like a parent. "Ya most likely got a concussion, kiddo."

Sodapop put his hand on my shoulder, forcing a small grin. "Just stay." He whispered, "Just tell your aunt you like..was at a friend's house and fell asleep." He then smiled some more. "I mean, you're not gonna be completely lying."

He was right. They're my friends. She doesn't have to know which friends I was with. I'd be okay.

I was lying to myself, and I didn't believe me either. I knew she'd make her assumptions.