ONE: COMING HOME, PT 1.

MILES

My name is Miles Grant. I'm 15 years old. I'm smart but not nerdy.
Ain't gone be none of that shit going on here. I'm openly gay. My family accepts me for who I am. My Dad worries about me too much. I don't know why. It's not like anyone's trying to fight me or kill me. He over reacts at times.

I go to Marshall James High (10 minutes from my house). My Dad Roland is the History teacher and he coaches the boys basketball team. My mom Patricia aka Tricia is a social worker. She loves to bake when she's not working. My brother Milan is a 14 year old menace who loves anime and he's a video game freak. He stays on punishment most of the time.

We live in a brick house upstairs/ downstairs with a big yard and a pool; 3 bathrooms, kitchen, living room, dining room, basement, and 5 bedrooms on 114 Prince Street. Its a quiet street with no drama and the neighbors are nice. Thank God we don't live in the hood.

School starts in 2 days. I'm just ready to get this 10th grade year over with. I hate school. I wish I could just skip high school and go to college.

Today my twin cousins Garrett and Dylan are moving in (Dad went to pick them up from the airport). My Mom's sister Aunt Toni died last month (cancer). Their deadbeat Dad Lance wants nothing to do with them for some odd reason. Aunt Toni's funeral was one of the saddest funerals I've ever attended. Aunt Toni asked my parents to raise Garrett and Dylan cause she knew her time was limited on earth. I still hear my Mom crying at night. Her and Aunt Toni were very close.

Me and Milan are sitting outside with our feet in the pool while Mom is inside cooking dinner. I'll be glad when she gets finished cooking. I'm hungry as fuck.

MILAN: DO YOU THINK MOM IS EVER GONNA FINISH COOKING? I'M HUNGRY AS FUCK.

MILES: I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING. WHAT IS SHE COOKING BY THE WAY?

MILAN: FRIED CHICKEN, MAC AND CHEESE, CORNBREAD, COLLARD GREENS, YAMS, AND FOR DESSERT WE'RE HAVING BANANA PUDDING

MILES: GARRET AND DYLAN'S FAVORITES

MILAN: I'M GLAD THAT THEY'RE MOVING IN WITH US. GARRETT IS FUNNY AS FUCK AND DYLAN IS BLUNT AS HELL. I WONDER WHY LANCE DIDN'T WANT THEM TO MOVE IN WITH HIM?

MILES: CAUSE HE'S A FUCKING DEADBEAT. THEY'RE BETTER OFF STAYING WITH US.

MILAN: REMEMBER WHEN DAD CHOCKED HIM OUT AT AUNT TONI'S FUNERAL. HE HAD THE NERVE TO ASK G AND D FOR SOME OF THE MONEY AUNT TONI LEFT THEM.

MILES: IF DAD HADN'T CHOKED HIM I'M SURE MOM WAS GOING TO.

I heard Dad's car pull up. They're here

We walk into the house through the backdoor. Mom was still cooking dinner. Damn I'm hungry.

TRICIA: DINNER WILL BE DONE IN A MATTER OF MINUTES. GO SET THE TABLE BOYS.

MILAN: JUST HOW LONG IS A MATTER OF MINUTES. I'M STARVING

TRICIA: A MATTER IF MINUTES IS WHENEVER ITS DONE. NOW GO SET THE TABLE MILAN. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR YOUR MOPPING AND COMPLAINING TODAY.

Milan rolled his eyes

MILAN: YES MA'AM

TRICIA: ROLL YOUR EYES AGAIN AND I'M GONNA KNOCK THEM OUT PERMANENTLY.

We walked into the dining room to set the table.

MILES: I KNOW YOU'RE HUNGRY. HELL I AM TOO, BUT BE PATIENT PLEASE. YOU KNOW ITS GONNA BE GOOD.