EIGHT: THE FIRST GAME

DERRICK

It was one long ass week. From practice to homework to studying to doing my chores. I've been busy nonstop. Thank God its Friday night.

I'm not gone lie...This the  first game of the season and I'm already nervous. I looked over at the other team and DAMN!!!! Them some big motherfuckas.

ROLAND: WE'VE PRACTICED OUR HEARTS OUT. NOW IT'S TIME TO PUT THE PRACTICE TO USE. AND DERRICK WHY THE HELL ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT WHAT'S GOING OVER THERE? FOCUS SON.

DERRICK: YES COACH.

ROLAND: DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEIR SIZE. THEY MAY BE BIG BOYS, BUT DON'T NONE OF YOU BACK DOWN. FOLLOW THE PLAYS AND TONIGHT WILL BE THE BEGINNING OF AN GLORIOUS BASKETBALL SEASON.

ALL: YES COACH.

ROLAND: NOW GO OUT THERE AND PLAY SOME DAMN BALL.

ALL: YES SIR!!!!!!

ROLAND: TRENT, TROY, MARSHALL, DERRICK, AND MICAH Y'ALL ARE THE STARTING FIVE. WE'LL ROTATE SO EVERYONE WILL HAVE A TURN ON THE COURT.

ALL: YES SIR!!!!!!

ROLAND: ALRIGHT LETS GO OUT THERE AND GIVE IT TO EM WILDCATS. ON THREE....ONE, TWO, THREE....

ALL: WILDCATS!!!!!!!

We started off good but after the other team stole the ball from Trent, they started catching up.

I looked into the crowd and noticed Miles, his Mom, Milan, Tori, Keldric, Garrett, and Dylan  and 2 guys, a girl, and a kid (I don't know who they are). Marissa and the cheerleaders are doing there thing. Then I noticed Sean and Damion taking pictures and writing down every play by play. Then I noticed my Mom, my Dad, Aunt Selita, and Grandma. If we lose tonight,  Grandma will grill me and Troy all day Sunday.

ROLAND: FOSTER!!!!!!!!!! GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME!!!!!!!

Dammit I'm trying.

The buzzer goes off.

It's halftime.

Thank God.

We went to the locker room and Coach Grant damn near bit our heads off.

ROLAND: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON OUT THERE? DERRICK'S OUT THERE IN IMAGINATION LAND, TROY KEEPS CHECKING OUT MS. TAYLOR, MICAH KEEPS MEAN MUGGING MY SON, MS. TAYLOR, MR. PRICE, MR. ANDERSON, AND MR. WESTWOOD, AND TRENT LET THE BALL SLIP OUT OF HIS HANDS SO THE OTHER TEAM COULD SCORE.

MICAH: BUT COACH????

ROLAND: BUT COACH MY ASS!!!!!!

TROY: COACH, WE'LL DO BETTER.

ROLAND: YOU BETTER. I WILL NOT LOSE THIS GAME TO CRESTWOOD HIGH. COACH TOWNSEND WILL RUB IT IN MY FACE EVERY CHANCE HE GETS.

He's really pissed.

DERRICK: I'M SORRY COACH I JUST GOT A LOT ON MY MIND.