4

I'm crying. It's raining outside. I look pathetic but what else is new? I've always been pathetic. I wasn't good for anything but drawing a dress on a piece of paper. I could make gorgeous dresses for women. Dresses that I would never wear. I could hardly even sew them together. Needed Cupid for that. Just designs. But I designed a damn good dress. Dresses that made women like Tempest look good. That was my role in society. I was one of the people who made other people look good. Never myself.

A car pulls up. It looks familiar. An old 2000 Kia Optima pulls up.

"Get in."

"Leave me the fuck alone."

Malachi drives up to the end of the block and jumps out the car. He runs me down annoyingly. What are cousins good for? They are so annoying. My cousin doesn't seem to care that we are stuck in the rain. He just holds me there for a few minute staring at me with this hard look.

"Cupid told me that you just ran away from the club. He said he was worried about you. I've been driving around Midtown Atlanta for the past 3 hours looking for you."

"I'm fine."

"You don't look fine. You look like you just got your heart broke."

"Why didn't you tell me you sold drugs to Tempest?" I ask.

"You know about that?"

"The reason Storm was being cool with me is because of you. They want drugs."

I feel dumb. I have a reason to feel dumb. This whole time I thought Storm really cared about me. This whole time I thought I was at least making a friend, even though every inch of me thought that Storm was my soulmate. Right now I just feel like a fucking idiot.

"Damn cous. I'm sorry man. I should have warned you about the Underwoods. They use people to get what they want and then they throw them away. That's what they do. They've gotten away with it for years."

"Well they aren't getting away with it anymore," I state.

Malachi raises an eyebrow. He doesn't understand how mad I am right now. He doesn't understand how embarrassed I was in that club when Tempest put me on blast in front of everyone. The moment you really trust someone and watch as they tear you down is the worst moment ever. It happened in public. It happened in the worst way possible.

Malachi shakes his head, "I'm sorry you were hurt, cous. I really am. But maybe this is all for the best. You don't belong with those beautiful people. You don't belong in that world. C'mon, cous. I'm going to take you home."

Malachi was using the same argument that Tempest used. I couldn't possibly be good enough to be in Storm's circle or a part of Storm's life. No matter how much we clicked there was no way in hell Storm would have honestly wanted to be around me if he didn't want my cousin's drugs.

According to everyone, I should have expected this.

According to everyone, this was my fault.

"Give me the pills."

"What?"

"They want to play with people's lives. It's time that they got a taste of their own medicine. I want the pills."

"Wait. There is something you should know about my relationship with Storm."

"Tell me."

He hesitates.

"I don't think he's a bad guy. I don't want you to blame me for not telling you that. He might be a good person. It's just when we fell out...we really really fell out."

"What happened between you two?"

"We both loved the same person. It caused our friendship to end."

I'm confused.