6

I didn't think it was real. I didn't think it could be happening but sure enough it had happened. Malachi's body was found at Piedmont Park right next to a gazebo on a lake.

"Overdose. That's what they are calling it."

My grandmother sits next to me at the funeral. She's explaining what happened to people at the gravesite. She doesn't cry. I know she's sad. She's raised Malachi since he was younger. His mom was an addict and his dad was a deadbeat. I wish I could be as strong as my grandmother was right now. She's being the strong one.

I'm the one breaking down.

"Bullshit," I state, "Malachi wouldn't have even' taken his own drugs."

"Well baby I'm sure there were a lot of things about Malachi that you didn't know," my grandmother explains to me.

She puts an arm over my shoulder as though I'm some kid who has no idea what I'm talking about. Cupid is crying as well, dressed in all black next to me. There is this gloom and doom over the entire funeral that I can't comprehend.

"They did this to him," I tell my grandmother.

"Who?"

"Them."

Team Underwood wasn't too far away. I'm shocked they showed up at the funeral as well. Leave it to them my brother was only their goddam drug dealer.

They were standing while we sat during the whole burial. I hadn't seen them during the service and they showed up at the burial late. Tempest doesn't even have black on. The bitch has a fitted burgundy dress on. Then I see Storm. His eyes are buried on me for some reason. They haven't budged the entire time. He can see me looking at him. He still doesn't move his eyes. Even though I look like I want to go over there and rip his fucking throat out.

He just stares. Silently.

Cupid gives me a slight shrug and pulls me close to him. He's making sure he pulls me away from my grandmother.

"Don't upset her."

He has a point. Grandma was holding it back. She had always been tough on the exterior but inside she was falling apart worse than we were. She'd go home tonight. She'd be devastated. She wouldn't get over Malachi's death that easy.

Luckily the burial is over. Everyone is headed to the reception. They let the family get up first. My parents have come from out of town. Some other cousins and aunts. Even my grandfather who we hadn't seen since he divorced grandma was back.

"I can't let them get away with this," I whisper to Cupid.

Cupid shakes his head, "You don't know they did anything..."

"I know."

"Demarco. If you have proof go to the cops about it..."

"I don't have proof."

"Then how do you know? Didn't you say the cops were looking for him. Malachi might not have been telling you the whole truth. You know he's always gotten into trouble. He's always gotten into some shit.It was probably worse than you thought."

If Cupid is trying to make me feel better he's failing miserably.

I ignore him. Storm has gotten up. He's walking his sister to a black Escalade that they have. Savannah, the twins, Gunner and Miles follow closely behind. There is a train of cars that are heading to the funeral reception. My grandmother had the food catered. We were going to celebrate Malachi's life. We were going to tell stories about him.

Cupid is walking me to the car but I stop.

"I'm not going."

"You're not going to your cousin's reception?" he asks me.