a memory

CHAPTER FOUR:

I didn't move an inch.

I just stared at him, directly into his dark green eyes.

It was something I didn't do often... stare into someone's eyes.

I was so shy and insecure, that the thought of having a conversation with someone I really didn't know was already bad enough, but to have to make eye contact... was intimidating.

He stared back at me and as the seconds ticked by, the harder it got to just stand there do nothing but stare like a stupid deer in headlights.

I'd spoken maybe 20 words to this guy, and yet he could make me feel so much, by just one stare.

Before I knew it, a memory flashed through my mind:

"Please god!" Noah begged and screamed over and over again, holding Austin's unconscious body against him.

I watched him, my eyes watering at the sight.

"It'll be okay." I said, on my knees on the ground beside him, but I didn't think he heard me over the sound of sirens coming from the approaching ambulance.

He dropped his head onto Austin's shoulder and sobbed.

"Please god." He prayed-

"Miss?"

I jumped, startled by the mans voice. He looked at me curiously and then followed my line of sight to Noah who was still staring at me.

He squinted, trying to get a better look at Noah. Whose eyes now darted to the man standing beside me.

"William!" The man shouted.

I looked at him confused and then I looked back to Noah, who raised a brow at the old man.

"Get over here, boy!" The man yelled.

Noah seemed to snap out of the daze he was in and jogged slowly up to us.

"Miss, I need you to get in line or move away from the doors." The old man said, grabbing me by the arm and pulling me out of the doorway.

"William?" The old man said, letting go of my arm, "You're not suppose to go in there yet."

I looked at them confused.

William?

"Sorry, Uncle Lee." Noah mumbled, running a hand through his curly hair.

It was just now I noticed the tux he was wearing. I couldn't help but notice the way it fit him so perfectly in certain places. Around his torso, shoulders-

Stop it, Lexi.

I dragged my eyes away from Noah and instead went to find a place in the room to stand.

I don't know what the old man meant by "line?" The whole room was basically just a huge mass of people all crowded together in small groups.

As I was walking around awkwardly, trying to find a place to stand. I caught some lady staring at me, a judgmental look on her face. Her eyes scanned my body from head to toe in distaste.

I took a few steps in the opposite direction of her, trying to get out of her line of sight.

When I glanced back, her eyes were slits as she nastily glared at me, not knowing that I could see her from the corner of my eyes.

I pulled at my sweater uncomfortably and crossed my arms.

What was her problem?

I had no idea who the hell she even was?