Second Task

Y/n's POV

There were many reasons I didn't tell Harry, Ron, or Hermione about my kiss with Draco. One, I didn't want Harry getting distracted. The second task of the tournament was today. Two, the three of them would probably hate me for kissing their arch rival, and I'd lose my best friends. And three, things were kind of awkward between the three of us. Today's task was in the middle of the black lake, so we had to take boats to get there. I was heading there with Cedric, who was actually a good friend of mine. We didn't hang out much though considering the fact that he is 3 years older than me, he's in a different house, and this year, he's in the tournament.

"You're going to do great," I assure Cedric. "Just remember what I told you." 

"Use the bubblehead charm. Got it," Cedric confirmed and gave me a hug. "Thank you, Y/n." 

I waved him off. "It was no problem. Pull out a win for me." 

Cedric laughed. "You got it." Once I got to the stands, I took a seat with Ginny, Fred, and George. Together, we watched as the contestants lined up on a platform and got ready to receive their task.

"Welcome to the second task," Dumbledore started. "Last night, something was stolen from each of our champions. A treasure of sorts. These four treasures, one for each champion, now lie on the bottom of the black lake. In order to win, each champion only needs to find their treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough. Except for this. They will have one hour to do so, and one hour only. After that, they'll be on their own. You may begin at the start of the cannon." 

Seconds later, the cannon went off and the champions jumped into the lake. Cedric was the first competitor to come back with Cho in his arms, and I cheered loudly for him. My idea of using the bubblehead charm clearly worked. Way better than I expected too. Then, Viktor emerged with Hermione. So the possession that was stolen was someone important to the champion. Fleur was somehow not able to complete the challenge, and just as the clock dinged that an hour had passed, Ron surfaced above the water along with Fleur's younger sister. There was still no sign of Harry. However, seconds later, he flew out from the water and landed on the platform. 

"Go Harry!" all of the Gryffindors cheered.

"Attention! Attention!" Dumbledore shouted. "The winner is Mr. Diggory, for showing unique command of the bubblehead charm. Now, the way I see it, Mr. Potter would have finished first had it not been for his determination to rescue not only Mr. Weasley, but the others as well. We've agreed to award him second place for outstanding moral fiber." 

..................................................

"You were brilliant, Harry. Absolutely brilliant," I comment as I met up with me after the task. 

"Thanks," Harry returned. "I didn't see you sitting in the stands with Malfoy though. Where were you?" 

I clenched my fists at my sides. "If you want to know, Harry, I was sitting with Ginny, Fred, and George. If you don't believe me, you can ask any one of them. They'll prove it to you." At that moment, Cedric passed by and gave me a hug, which I appreciated, but he was soaking wet. 

"Thanks for the idea of the bubblehead charm, Y/n. What would I do without you as a friend? You're the best," Cedric complimented as he walked off with his friends.

"You were helping Cedric instead of me too?" Harry asked. "What else have you done behind my back?" 

"You didn't ask for my help, Harry," I remind him. "So I thought you didn't need it. What, do you need me to hold your hand the whole way through this? If you didn't think you were capable of doing this, then you shouldn't have put your name in the Goblet of Fire." With that, I turned around and stormed away. 

Harry's POV

"Bloody hell, Harry" Ron spoke. "You don't need to keep grilling her like that. The Yule Ball was ages ago. Both Hermione and I have kind of forgotten about her and Malfoy to be honest. And it's not like they were dating. They just went to a dance together."

"Potter, can you keep a friend for 5 seconds without turning on them?" Draco questioned as he pushed past me to follow after Y/n. I growled and went to go after him, but Hermione stopped me. 

"Let it go Harry," Hermione instructed.

Y/n's POV

In the secret courtyard that Draco had told me about the night of the Yule Ball, I took a seat on a bench, placing my head in my hands. After about a minute or so, Draco entered the courtyard and made his way over to me.

"You okay?" Draco quizzed.

"Not really," I respond. "My life feels like it's falling apart. Harry's mad that I went to the ball with you, and now that he found out I helped Cedric with the last task, I'm not too sure he wants to talk to me ever again."

"If he doesn't like the people that you hang out with other than him, he's not a true friend," Draco told me. 

"But he is. These past four years would have been hell without him. Down in the Chamber of Secrets during our second year, he saved my life," I share with Draco and subconsciously rub at the faded dark mark scar on my forearm. "And I can't give up a friend like that. Thank you for trying to make things better. I appreciate it. I'm just gonna find Harry and talk to him. I'll see you later."

"Okay. See ya," Draco called out as I exited the courtyard. Harry was sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace when I entered the common room. When he saw me, he tried to get up and walk off, but I gently took a hold of his wrist and guided him back down onto the couch.

"Harry, there are a few things I want to talk to you about, so I just need you to listen for a moment. I know you don't like Draco, and I understand why. He may still act like a git to you, but to me he's changed since first year, and I really like him. And the only reason I helped Cedric was because he reached out to me for help. You didn't, so I just figured you had the second task handled," I explain. "So if you really cared for me, then you'd understand where I'm coming from and would drop the grudge you have against me right now." 

Harry sighed. "I know. And I'm sorry. I shouldn't have acted like a huge git to you these past few weeks."

"It's okay," I assure him and give him a hug. "I forgive you."

Harry smiled. "Thank you. I've missed you like hell." 

"I've missed you too," I say. "So, what do we know about the final task?"