Chapter Three

After the children brought Gheorgie to Bertha they were told to pack their belongings, which came as a surprise but they both knew exactly what she meant because they had heard her say it a few times before to other kids that had left and never came back, happy smiles on their faces.

"You think he's nice?" Asher asks Luna as he watches her pack everything she owns into a small bag.

"I feel like he is." She states, pulling the strings on the bag so that it was closed.

"So do I." Asher tells her as he takes her bag from her hands and swings it over his own small rucksack.

As both of the children continue talking about what their home might look like and what their new life will entail, Bertha and Gheorgie were speaking in her office.

"Jay is going to be so happy when we make it back, she has always wanted kids." Gheorgie tells Bertha, a small smile appearing on his dark lips.

"They are both wonderful kids, though Asher can have sticky fingers sometimes." Bertha explains, moving her eyes back and forth from Gheorgie and the papers on her desk.

"It isn't a worry, I used to have the same problem." Gheorgie confesses as he stands and walks to the window.

Not knowing what to say Bertha just sighs and continues looking through the stacks of papers.

"The girl, why does she limp?" The question makes Bertha stop fumbling with the papers and glance at the giant man.

While Bertha stumbles over her words, trying to find the right ones, Asher is trying to make use of his sticky fingers and snatch a couple more pieces of cinnamon candy for Luna while she stands guard.

"Asher!" Luna whisper shouts as she looks down both sides of the hallway.

"Hush, Luna, I'm almost done." The young boy grumbles, while he tries to push his arm further into Bertha's night table drawer without opening it. He had learned that it was too loud and creaky the first time and has been doing it this way since.

Right when he grabs the bag Bertha's cat jumps out from under the bed and startles him, causing him to bang his head on the table.

"That's what you get!" Luna tells him as she turns around so that she could point her finger at him.

While getting up from the floor he mocks Luna, thinking that he had done so quietly but was wrong.

"Hey!" She cries out, walking through Bertha's bedroom door, forgetting that she was supposed to keep watch.

Asher's eyes widen when he notices the glare on the girls face. He backs up and searches for a way to get past her, knowing what she was about to do.

Luna raises her hand and steps closer causing Asher to wince and run forwards, trying his best to leave the room unscathed.

Luna just rolls her eyes and steps back, giving him full access to the door, and props her hands on her hips.

Asher barely makes it out of the door and trips, making Luna laugh.

When she gets to the doorway she sees that Asher was still sprawled on the floor, face first, in the middle of the hallway.

Luna crouches as low as her left leg would let her and snatches the small pouch that was full of candy from Asher's left hand.

"Thank you for getting the candy." She tells him and then uses his back to help her get back into a standing position.

He just groans, staying in the same spot on the floor.

Luna struggles to hide her giggles as he gets to his knees and dusts his hands off on his bottoms.

"You're mean." He tells her as he stands at his full height and rubs his chest.

"And you steal but you don't hear me complaining." She tells him matter of factly as she starts to make her way down the stairs.

"Because I do it for you." He mumbles, slinging their bags over his right shoulder while he hurries to catch up with her.

While the children were taking their time coming down the stairs Bertha had just finished telling Gheorgie about the young girl.

"Of course that won't change anything!" Gheorgie smiles at the plump woman, watching as the worry leaves her face.

"Oh, thank you!" She cheers, a relieved smile on her face as she finally pulls out the right paperwork.

Gheorgie rushes to sit down, afraid the woman would squish him into a hug.

He begins to sign everything, not hesitating at any point.

"Can we wait outside?" Asher asks from the door causing Gheorgie and Bertha to glance at them.

"Ask Gheorgie." Bertha tells him and his heart swells when the both of them look at him and wait for his answer.

At first Gheorgie is afraid that he was going to answer it wrong, worried that if he let them go outside they could get hurt but if he didn't they would be upset with him, so he shoots Bertha a look and she smiles and nods.

When he tells them that yes, they could go outside, their faces light up and they cheer, making Gheorgie happy.

"They truly are wonderful children." Bertha tells him as he signs his signature for the last time.

"I can tell." He sighs and places the quill in her awaiting hand.

"Thank you." Bertha tells him, sticking her right hand out in front of her.

"I should be thanking you." Gheorgie smiles warmly as he stands and places his large hand in hers.

With one last look Gheorgie makes his way outside and wonders how he is going to explain everything to the young children, the boy not even knowing what he is.

Reaching the door, he closes his eyes and takes a deep, calming breath, calling to the goddess to help him.

His eyes open when he hears the laughter of Luna and the snorts of Asher.

He was happy. Happier than he had been in months, and it was all because of the two children that were playing together in the front yard of the orphanage.

Gheorgie smiles a wide smile and then makes his way to the both of them, excited to get back home and excited to show the children everything.

"Bye!" Both children shout and wave towards the house where Bertha was standing with tears in her eyes after Luna had hugged her for the fourth and final time.

They weren't tears of sadness, they were tears of joy, knowing that the children were going to have a chance at true happiness.