Heart-ache

Beep. Beep. Beep. I hear the monitor.

I wake up and look around the room.

My head sort of hurts. I realize I'm in my mothers hospital room and I'm laying on a lazy boy. "You're finally up." My dad looks at me grimly. "Did I faint?" I ask, embarrassed. "Yes, you did, after you saw your mom." I look down. "Do you know what her....condition is?"

"Sadly, yes, she's in a coma. The car hit her from her left side, which is the drivers side. She has a broken arm and a concussion. Other than that, she just has some bruises and cuts." As he says this, he starts crying. "A coma?" I ask "Will she wake up?" "The doctors say we have to talk to her and hold her hand and such. They said it will help her wake up."

"Okay." I realize now that I am crying.

A nurse walks in holding a clipboard.

"Visiting is over. She needs to be alone."

"Okay." my dad says. He walks to my mother, and kisses her forehead.

I hear him whisper something, but I can't make out what he says. After he leaves, I walk over and whisper to her "Sooo I'm not a virgin anymore. I thought you needed to know that. Also, I love you. Please wake up. I need you. Dad needs you. I squeeze her hand and I thought I felt her squeeze back. "Nurse! She squeezed my hand!!" I say. "Oh, sweetheart, that's just her nerves. It happens all the time to people in comas."

She says smoothly. "Oh." I say, disappointed.

*At home*

After we ate dinner Dad clears his throat.

"So, how long have you been going behind my back and seeing Augustus?"

I just look at him. "Twice. Once after my nubbins broke, and then today." I say, not showing any emotion in my voice.

"Twice is too much. I told you to stay away from that boy. He's a bad influence." He shoots the words at me

"First off, 'that boy' has a name, and secondly, he's not a bad influence! Everything he and I do together you approve of." Except for today, I think.

"Well, he put you in the hospital!"

I gasp. "He did not!!! MY NUBBINS BROKE AND HE CARRIED ME TO THE CAR AND INTO THE HOSPITAL!!!" I can feel heat rising in my face. I stand up. "And what were you doing today with him at his house?" He asks

"We were watching movies till mom was supposed to come pick me up." I retort.

I glare at him. "I love Augustus. And if I have to wait two years till I'm 18 to be with him, I will. And I know Gus will too." "You do not love that boy." He snaps

"Yes, I do. And one things for sure, I don't love you." After that I turn around and walk to my room, closing the door and locking it. I hear him get up and start doing the dishes. I call Gus.

"Gus," I start crying.

"Hazel, what's wrong?" He asks

"Here's what's wrong with my mom:

She's in a coma, she has a broken arm and a concussion. Other than that she just has cuts and bruises."

"Oh my gosh. A coma?"

I just start sobbing, "That's not it, my dad got mad at me and I told him I loved you and he said I didn't, and I told him I didn't love him...." I breathe in slowly.

"You didn't really mean it, did you?"

"Well, no, I'm just really upset. Can you come and sneak in tomorrow? He has a meeting at 12:30. Please?"

"Yes, baby, I'll be there. I love you. I'll see you tomorrow.".

"I love you too. Bye, Augustus."

*the next day*

We leave early to go visit Mom, around 7:30am, so we have plenty of time before we leave to go home because Dad has his meeting at 12:30pm. When we get there Dad is very quiet, well, he's been quiet ever since last night. I want to tell him I do love him, that I'm just upset, I just don't know how. When we walk in, we check in and go straight to her room. No ones in the room except for her, so I say "Hey, Mom. I'm missing you already," I walk up to her. "Please wake up." I run my hand through her hair and say "I brought your favorite blanket." I quickly strip off the hospital one and spread her quilt-like blanket over her. "How's that?" I can here her say in my head, "Better, honey, thank you." I wipe tears from my eyes that I didn't even know were there and I go and sit down in the Lazy Boy while I watch Dad sit at the side of her bed, kiss her on the lips, and hold her hand. "Do you want something to drink?" I ask, thinking I should give him some alone time with Mom. He doesn't say anything, just simply shakes his head no. "Oh. Okay. I'll be right back." He just nods.

*one hour later*

We leave in an hour. So I just sit down and hold my moms hand, talking to her about some Swedish holiday that's today. Her eyelids flicker, and hope rises in me. "Mom?! Mom are you waking up?" But she just lays there, unaware of the real world. I wait for the rest of the time for her to wake up, but she doesn't, the hope in me earlier dying, slowly, then all at once.

(A/N- see what I did there?)

*1:00pm*

I'm in my room waiting for Gus, he said he'd be here around 1:00. All of a sudden there's tapping at my window. I smile and unlock the window, take the screen out, and help him in. "What took you so long?"

"I have one and a half pair of legs. It's not going to be that fast." He smiles at me. He looks at me for a second, then says "C'mere." I walk to him and he pulls me into a hug. For some reason, I don't cry. I think I don't have any tears left. He pulls away and lifts up my chin. He kisses me slowly and it turns into a French kiss and our tongues keep touching, but I kind of like it. He rubs my back. I don't want it to go farther than kissing. I.. just.. don't right now. I pull away and look into his eyes and he understands because his hands grab mine, leaving the spots on my back where he touched feeling cold. He kisses me again and then the door opens.

Gus's eyes go wide and he pulls apart and I turn around. And my Dad is staring right at me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- ohhhhh snapppp

What do you think will happen?

When do you think Hazels mom is going to wake up?

I love being evil to you guys

Mwhahahahahaha