Happy Days

It's been two years since my lung transplant. It's been two years since Gus and I were 17 and struggling to be together. Augustus graduated today. I'm already graduated, just two days ago, but what happened on Gus's graduation day is a much better story to tell.

*4 hours earlier*

"Okay, Hazel, did you get his cake? What about the streamers? And the candles?"

Rachel asks (Mrs. Waters). I laugh.

"Yes, yes, and yes." I say while pulling them out of the bag. Gus was at his house getting ready for us to pick him up.

I put the cake on the table and grab the streamers and some tape. "Rachel, can you help me put these up?" I struggle with the streamers and tape. She looks at me "Oh, sure sweetie." She smiles at me.

Just when we finish decorating, my parents come home with 3 garbage bags full of blown up balloons. They rip the bags open in the living room and kitchen and kick them around. I look at my mom.

"I can't believe we graduated." I smile at her as she pulls me into a hug. "And we couldn't be more proud of you and Augustus." I smile even more when she used his full name. Gus, I mean Augustus, asked us to start calling him by his full name because it sounds more mature than Gus. I look around the room. It's colorful and decorated. I can smell the cake. We all part our ways to go freshen up. I walk to my room and pull on a light purple dress that hugs my curves and chest. I looked at my hair, which is now down to the middle of my back. I brush it and leave it flowing down my back, just like Augustus likes. I put on minimal makeup, just some eyeshadow. I decide to put on some pink lipstick. I purse my lips. I put on some white sandals and walk out of my room.

The party starts at 6pm and it's 5:54 now, the guests should be here anytime now. As if by magic, the door bell rings and in comes some of Augustus's friends from school. They all smiled and greeted me with a hello. I smiled back.

Once all the guests were here Rachel and John went to go pick up Augustus.

When we heard them pull up, we turned off the lights as hid. When we opened the door, we waited in case it wasn't Augustus. We heard him laugh, and say "Hazel, where are you and why is it so dark?" Someone flips on the lights and we all yell, "Surprise!!". He looks shocked, then he recovers and smiles. "Oh, wow. Was definitely not expecting that." He walks over to me. "Did I surprise you?"

He nods. "You look beautiful." He whispers in my ear. I look at him with adoration and kiss him, slow but short.

When we pull apart he grabs my waist and pulls me to him and I hug him gratefully.

He's so muscular and safe. I turn around, my back pressed to his chest. We swayed slightly to the music playing when I turned around and grabbed his hand pulling him to the back door. "Where are we going?"

He laughs. "You'll see." When we walk out, luckily no one is out here. I pull him to the middle of the yard and grab his shirt, pulling him towards me. He leans done and puts his forehead on mine. We breathe each others breath and I smile.

"I love you." He smiles. "I love you too, Hazel." I was going to say something when his lips crash into mine, kissing me passionately. We end up walking backwards, and my back is against a tree.

His lips trail up and down my neck and then back to my lips. My hands were in his hair and he has his hands on my waist.

"Where did Hazel and Augustus go?"

We hear someone ask and I laugh, pulling apart reluctantly, wanting to kiss him all night. He grabs ahold of my hand and we walk in, seeing they already cut the cake.

We each grab a piece, and eat and talk for the remainder of the party.

*2 hours later*

We had just got down cleaning up.

"I have something to show you Hazel." Augustus says. I raise my eyebrows.

"C'mon," he says as he pulls me to his car and starts to back out the driveway.

I laugh as he pulls into an apartment complex. "Why are we here?" I ask as we get out. Then I clicks. I run over to where Augustus is standing as hug him. "You got an apartment didn't you?" He nods and kiss him on the lips. "What number room?" I ask. "124." I pull him by the arm and when I find the door that says 124 I out my hand out. "Key please."

He hands me the key and when I open the door, I see he's already moved some of his stuff here, like his bed. The lights are low and there soft music playing. There are rose petals in a path to the bed, where there is a red comforter with some square packages in the middle. I laugh and turn around, to see him on his knee.

I gasp and immediately start tearing up.

"Hazel Grace Lancaster, I know we are too young to get married, but I want to give you this promise ring," He pulls the ring box out of his jacket pocket. "As a promise to ask you to marry me some day." I laugh and smile as he slips the ring on me. I look at and smile. It's silver, with three diamonds shaped as hearts.

"Look at the inside." I looked and saw it was engraved with the word Promise.

"Oh Augustus. I promise to say yes when you ask." He smiles. I step on my tip toes to kiss him, but he leans his head down and kisses me passionately. His kiss is so sweet. His lips are so soft and I moan quietly, walking backwards to the bed.

He pulls off his shirt as I lay back on the bed I kick off my sandals as he leans over me kissing me again. I sit up as he climbs on the bed, taking my dress off. He kisses my jaw, my neck and my shoulders. I kiss his cheek and up all around his forehead as he pulls off my bra, then my underwear. He pulls off his pants and his underwear. Then we make love.