Fights between boys

the following monday after the losing game, devontae was still angry.

devontae, beau's teammate and best friend, did not take losing very well. especially to the schools rival team.

"you know what i don't fucking understand." devontae snarled to the the rest of the people at the lunch table. "why the hell they allow that gay ass bitch on the field anyway. I could like, complain of sexual harassment every time he brushed against me."

"well that gay ass bitch did score the winning goal on friday. i highly doubt they are gonna nix their best player just because he likes dick." another guy from the team said.

"I heard he has to change in a separate locker room. you know, because some of the other guys feel uncomfortable."

beau felt a stab of sorrow for ellis. that had to be so lonely and dehumanizing. beau tried to push that feeling away, but instead of becoming indifferent, he only felt more guilty.

"i mean, he shouldn't be gay then. it's just an inconvenience to everyone else." beau muttered. even as the words left his mouth, he felt a flood of self hate and disgust trail behind his nasty words."

austin, another guy from the team stared at the boys in disgust. "you guys are so fucking backwards. you act like he chose to be gay. why would anyone choose that? it makes his life so much harder. i can't believe i play with assholes like you."

devontae scoffed. "nigga, shut the fuck up with your righteous ass. anyway, I have an idea on how to get back at them. nobody beats northview heights."

austin opened his mouth again, his dark brown curls falling into his hazel eyes. "what the fuck? they won fair and square."

beau tried to listen intently to the conversation, but he kept getting distracted at by austin. Had he always been that damn fine?

devontae growled. "you're already on thin ice. nobody here likes you and your family. your momma could've done way better than your white ass daddy. you wanna add gay lover to your long list of things we hate about you?"

beau managed to remain invested in the conversation and turned a frown onto the angry black boy beside him.

"damn, devontae chill the fuck out. you sound racist as hell."

devontae shot beau a withering look. "all i'm saying is that it's unnatural. it's just not right."

"oh, like your prejudice?" austin retaliated.

"that's fucking it with you and that damn mouth." devontae said lunging for the mixed boy across the table.

beau sighed as a fight began to break out right above him between the two boys of similar statue.

they'd be running at practice.