Chapter 24: Horse Riding

Alexander

"Sir," Langdon called out. His voice filled with hesitance and at the same time, determination.

I slowly turned to face him. He was just standing there the whole time I was having a conversation with Cornick.

He stood upright, shoulders stiffed as he faced me.

Frowning at him, I waited for him to speak.

"If you may," he began. I shook my head in permission. "I can help," he offered. Cocking my head and right brow at the same time, I waited. He tilted his head slightly and continued. "I'll find out anything... if not everything about Mr, Hemmings," he clarified.

"Are you sure?" I scowled.

That didn't deter him. He met my eyes with confidence and determination.

"I've worked with the CIA before, sir. I'm sure I could find something that would help, whatever you need to know, sir." He tilted his chin slightly and I stared at him for a second.

I forgot he's one of the best CIAs, one of the reasons why I hired him.

"Then get to work!" I agreed, then whirled towards the door.

I went to my room and got undress, leaving just my boxer shorts and my white shirt. I took my latest laptop and sat on my bed. With my back propped against the headboard, I unfolded my laptop on my lap.

I started digging about Mrs. Ratskin. Time flies by, my eyelids starting to feel heavy, yet I didn't care. I was already consumed about the missing heirloom.

Since spying on Claire's activities becoming a hobby, I found out every piece of information about her, or so I hope. God help me if my PI's missed something. Which link to that man named Jonathan Hemmings who sold the jewelry to Clara Bell.

I have a feeling Claire planned this all out. God forgive me if she will use it against her.

I was disappointed at the information I gathered. It wasn't as useful as I wanted. I finally gave in to exhaustion and decided to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up early. I showered and got dressed. Blue jeans and a gray polo shirt.

I started making calls as I headed to the dining room for breakfast. I was greeted by my parent's butler. I just gave him a brief nod and sat down. Food then came pouring in front of me. I started drinking my coffee.

"Anything?" I began as soon as Cornick answered the phone.

"Driving now to Hard Rocks. I'll check the surveillance camera, maybe it will help trace him."

"Should you have done this before?" I snapped.

"Yes..." his voice dropping low, "I should," he answered. He sounded guilty and apprehensive.

A sense of frustration and disappointment washed over me.

I thought I'm paying the best Private Investigator. "I'm paying you good, Cornick. You better give me your best," I stated disappointedly.

"Yes, sir!"

Just as I ended the call, my phone rang. It was Quinn Lucas.

"What's up?"

"Busy?" he asked.

"Somewhat," I replied shortly.

"I see..." he punctuated. "Well, I just thought you might like to join me, horse riding," he added.

I thought for a second. I've called every person I know of, and now was waiting for an update. I don't know what else to do. I guess horse riding would be a great distraction until I heard some good news.