7

I ran out of the parlor, tears were beginning to make its way down my face. I hadn't believed what had just happened. The scene kept replaying in my head, I was just going. I kept wiping my eyes, I didn't know where to go. But I was going somewhere. Anywhere away from that parlor. Away from him. For now.

I should've been paying attention. But I couldn't. That was until I bumped into the most built body ever, falling onto the pavement. I didn't care at this point. I just laid on the floor and held my hands to my eyes. I heard murmurs going around me. The footsteps of some people were inevitable. Some people strolled pass me. That's when I felt a warm hand grasp my hand. I was dramatic, I know.

"Zoey, are you okay?" A familiar voice asked concerningly.

I felt completely helpless, I didn't want to speak. I shook my head.

"Come on Zoe, get up. Let's take you home," David insisted.

David was honestly my best guy friend. He's been there for me since we became friends with Ashley. He ignored me for all of last week though, I didn't know if he had something against Caleb and I dating but... He's back. He always found himself in the right place at the right time. He's basically my second best friend.

"Alright. Thanks, Davie," I softly muttered, my voice as weak as my body.

David pulled me up, his hand on the small of my back as he asked, "Can you walk or do you want to sit for a tiny bit more?"

"My legs hurt from the fall," I wiped my eyes, looking down.

I felt his strong arms pick me up, then I opened my eyes. He turned around to allow me to hop onto his back. He had a firm grip on my legs as I hopped onto him. I tightly wrapped my hands around him and held onto him for my dear life. I didn't feel sad or threatened. I felt safe.

-

The car ride to my house was a comfortable silence. He didn't bother to ask about what had happened. This is what I loved about him.

-

I waved goodbye to him as he drove off, mentally preparing myself to face the beast.

I unlocked the door and walked in. My mother was in the kitchen. I could've just ran to my room and cried in the sheets. But for some reason, I felt compelled to go to her. I needed her right now. I can't believe I'm saying this but... I need you mom.

"Hey mom," I walked into the kitchen and sat on one of the chairs.

"Hey sweetie, how was Ashley's--" Her sentence was cut off when she saw my swollen eyes. Even I'd be scared of how red they probably were, "Who do I have to kill?"

"Caleb," I simply replied, leaning back onto the comfy chair.

"I told you so!" My childish mother exclaimed as if she just got an oscar.

I playfully rolled my eyes while laughing under my breath.

She quickly strolled over to me to pet my hair, "Alright. Tell me what happened."

-

I finished explaining everything to her. From start to beginning. My mother was speechless.

"Why do you hate Caleb so much?" I asked, the memory of her fist charging at me coming back to mind. Uncomfortably, I shifted in my seat, "I just remember you telling me he's a bad influence, why's that?"