15

But my euphoria had quickly ended.

-

Landon and I were still laughing. An old couple walked past us in the water, eyeing our obnoxious laughter.

Landon picked me up by the waist and spun me around in the air. I was afraid of heights. I didn't even care if I was a few inches from the water right now, I started kicking and screaming playfully as Landon spun me.

That's when I accidentally kneed him in the face.

We both fell backwards into the water. I fell unconscious for a few seconds as my head hit the seafloor. Darkness took over. I couldn't see or think. I wasn't breathing. I wasn't taking in any of the water surrounding me. I was just laying there.

I didn't know what pulled me up, but I felt a sudden hand wrap around my body and instantly bring me to the surface.

I opened my eyes and saw Landon standing extremely close to me.

His other hand carefully held the back of my neck. I didn't realize the scared expression on his face until I focused on his pupils.

He looked so innocent. Like a little boy watching a horror movie for the first time.

I lifted both of my arms from my sides to rest it on his chest. I leaned in closer to him and kissed him on the cheek, "Don't worry. I'm fine."

He sighed and pulled me into a hug.

I hugged back until we decided to take a break from the ocean. We walked up to where our stuff was and took it from the chair, walking over to some shady rocks we saw in the distance.

Landon had wrapped his towel around me as I shivered from the icy breeze. We sat on nearby rocks which were rather warm despite the chilly wind.

"See? Isn't this better than Starbucks?" He asked, his black hair fluttered around in the wind.

"Yeah yeah. I guess I'm fine with this surprise."

He grabbed me by the arm and pulled me closer to him, his arms wrapping around me. I sank into his body, the warmth of it comforted me, despite the temperature of the wind. I felt comfortable. I felt at home.

Then we saw him. And her.

-

Everything was going fine until I just saw Caleb and Ashley together. They were in each other's arms, laughing at each other.

I squinted to look closer at them, as I thought they were just my imagination.

Of course, it wasn't. I breathed out, doing a small groan in frustration.

'Why does this shit always happen?' I thought, screaming in my head, 'Why is Ashley doing this? We've been friends for two years already!' I jumped off the rock, looking up, and walking in a random direction.

"Zoey!" I heard Landon yell in the distance.

I didn't bother to turn around, I just continued walking, ignoring Landon's calls behind me. I was very clueless as to where I was going. But, I absolutely didn't care anymore. I didn't get it. Actually no, I didn't understand it. Why does life hate me?

I was lost in thought until I felt my body fall. I felt the grainy sand making its way into my hair. It stuck to my wet body, I was sinking further and further into it.

I groaned, slowly sitting up. I looked up at the cloudless sky, then I observed my surroundings even more. I saw another rock. Then I saw Landon. He was chasing after me. I didn't wanna talk to him right now, I got up and started to sprint away.

"Zoey, come back!" Landon shouted, to try to get my attention.

I'm guessing he was faster than me because he quickly caught up to me and spun me around. I couldn't even tell that I was crying until he wiped away a tear from my cheek. I wrapped my arms around him tightly and whispered, "Take me anywhere. Let's just get away from here."

Landon lifted up my chin, forcing me to stare at his surprised face.

He didn't know what to say, "Zoey, what's wrong?"

I shook my head, "Let's go before they see us. I don't want to cause more drama than it already is."

Landon didn't understand anything that was happening, but he obeyed my command. He helped me to the car and went back for the stuff quickly before driving away from the shore.