14

After a long lecture and a curfew from my mom, I went outside around 4:45 and waited. Landon arrived exactly on time which surprised me. After getting out the car and waving to my mother goodbye, he opened and closed the door for me. Then he got back in and drove off. But I noticed one thing was off. We weren't going in the direction of starbucks.

"So, we're going to starbucks, right?" I asked, being wary about my surroundings now.

"Aha, no. Did you actually believe we were going to starbucks?" Landon replied, his deep voice sending chills down my spine.

"Yes... Because that's where you said we were going!"

"Awh, I'm sorry hun. Too bad we're not going there."

"Where on earth are we going then?!" I yelled at him, readying myself to jump out of the car.

Landon pulled over the car, grabbing my hand and buckling back my seat belt.

"One, don't unfasten your safety belt. Two, we're going to the mall then the beach," Landon admitted after seeing me panic.

"Wait what? Why the mall though?" I questioned, not seeing the reason behind going to the mall, "And why didn't you just say that in the first place?"

He started back driving now.

"We're going to the mall to buy swimsuits and two, I wanted to surprise you."

Wait what? So he wasn't just kidnapping me? He didn't just lie?

...

He wanted to surprise me?

He leaned back in his seat, his hands still steady on the wheel. Throwing his head back then tilting it, I heard him mutter, "Well I guess I failed."

I couldn't help but giggle at the sight. He looked so sad.

"So we're going to the mall?" I asked, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen upon us.

"Yeah! So you're okay with it? We can still go to starbucks if you want?"

I softly giggled at him attempting to make up for his mistakes. At least he knew I hated surprises now.

"How about.. We go to starbucks then the beach?"

I saw his face light up, he obviously liked the idea.

For the rest of the drive, we were talking about multiple different things. From favorite colours to the clouds up above.

-

The windy breeze of the beach slapped my skin as it blew by. The sudden warmth of the heat from the sun made my skin defrost. Sand had already attacked my slippers, I felt it crawling between my toes as Landon and I made our way to an empty spot on the busy beach. I could feel my hair being swept back as the wind forcefully blew against us.

Finally, we got some empty chairs. It wasn't long before Landon grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the beach, dragging me into the cold, icy water. I began screeching and squealing because of how cold the water was. I couldn't stand cold things.

Landon saw my shivering. I thought he would've done something to make me feel warmer. I thought he would've helped me out of the water and wrapped a towel around me or something.

Nope.

He wrapped his hands around my waist and lifted me up, bridal-style. Before I knew it, he was running deeper into the ocean. That's when it happened.

He threw me.

I screamed so loudly.

Dammit, he was nearly as crazy as I was.

I hit the sand below. It was grainy and rough but it didn't hurt. I enjoyed the bump. I realized I should've come up by now, so I started swimming up to the surface. I didn't realize my loss of oxygen until I breathed in the fresh air.

After coughing multiple times, I looked over to Landon who was laughing his butt off. He obviously loved pulling stuff like this.

"Landon! I swear you suck!" I yelled at him while laughing.

Despite it all, he was fun to hang with.

We both stood there in the water like two fools, laughing their lungs out.

I was actually having fun.