Chapter 8

The Song in this chapter is Count On Me by Whitney Huston and CeCe Winans

Lena had stuffed the paper in her pocket as soon as she heard Kara come back, and allowed Kara to give her a tour of the rest of the building before they went back to Earth... bringing Alura along with them

Now, she was sitting at her counter, drinking scotch straight from the bottle as she stared at the paper that had crushed her heart.

The number stared up at her from the paper, taunting her, driving her deeper and deeper into her depressive state.

"Lena?" A soft voice called out from behind her.

Lena immediately grabbed the results and stuffed them into her pocket before turning around and facing the woman before her with a fixed smile. "Kara. Hey."

"Lena... Did I say or do something to upset you?" Kara asked as she tentatively stepped through the balcony door.

"What?" Lena asked in confusion. "Of course not. Why would you ever think that?"

Kara looked at the floor. "Because as soon as I came back from my phone call with Kell, you've been acting strangely all day... Distant. Like it hurts to be around me or something."

It's even more painful being away from you... Either way, I lose.

"No, no... I'm just... tired. Very tired. It's been a long week, and it's starting to take a toll on me. Come, sit... We can have a movie night together."

Kara's smile brightened, and she let out an audible breath, almost as if she were relieved. "Thank Rao." She sighed. "I hate it when you're upset with me... I hate it when you're upset in general really... and I think you're upset about something."

Lena melted at knowing Kara cared about her wellbeing. That she cared whether Lena was upset or not... That she was here making sure Lena was okay.

Stop making me fall deeper in love with you; it's already painful enough.

Kara crossed the room and enveloped Lena into a tight hug. "I love you, Lena. You're my best friend, and I want you to tell me when something's bothering you. I want to be there for you, so if there is something that you're going through, please don't go through it alone."

The only thing Lena could think to do at that moment was to cry.

She cried into Kara's neck, as if the ferocity of her sobs would somehow change things; the results, Kara's relationship status, the past, anything... anything that could lead them down a different path.

"Hey, hey..." Kara cooed as she rubbed soothing lines down Lena's back. "Whatever is going on, I'm here... I'll do whatever I can to help."

Lena let out a loud sob, because she fit inside Kara's arms so perfectly, but she would never be the one to fall asleep in them every night. She'd never be the one that got to slow dance in those arms while staring into those beautiful ocean blue eyes.

She cried, loud, and hard... There was just too much raw pain inside her to be contained. Her soul felt as though it needed to break free from her body, it was despondent and desperately wanted to escape the heartache.

Kara, with her angelic heart, started rocking them side to side and singing melodiously.

"Count on me through thick and thin
A friendship that will never end
When you are weak I will be strong
Helping you to carry on
Call on me, I will be there
Don't be afraid
Please believe me when I say
Count on me."