Great Timing

•Detective Alexander Radley•

Badge 17726

Kate looked beautiful in the dress, her mask seemed to make her eyes much more impressive, if possible, and even her perfume smelled better than anything else I've ever smelt.

She leaned her head on my shoulder and hummed along with the orchestra as they played 'The Scientist' by Coldplay. At that moment I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I could care less if I delayed the discover of Susan Begley and Nicholas Winters.

I gulped and looked down at her nervously and she looked up at me extremely confused. I took her hand and led her away from the dancing couples and towards the gazebo, going through the open French doors and across the colorful garden.

She smiled slightly and turned her back to me to stare out at the garden. I gulped and wiped my hands on my trousers before taking a deep breath. This was it, I had absolutely no idea how I would do it, all I knew was somehow, someway I would let Kate know how I feel.

¿Kathrine Wallace?

Pinkerton Agent, V.P.

To say I was confused on why Alex brought me out here was the understatement of the year. Millions of thoughts flooded my mind and I had to looked away to keep from fidgeting nervously with my bracelet.

I clenched the railing of the gazebo and tried to pay attention to the grass, maybe if I was lucky I could see it grow!

"Kate," Alex said and I stiffened slightly. I could just imagine him telling me he couldn't deal with my routine of just running off. Or that he had found out I had been all those woman and that he was furious I had played him. Or that he would expose the agency and never wanted to see me again!

But nothing happened for a few seconds. I let out the air I barely noticed was being held in and turned around to see what was happening only for something to smash into my slightly parted lips. I gasped and froze and stared at the man in front on me, his hands on either cheek. His eyes were closed and he was wearing a Phantom of the Opera mask.

My eyes widened but I cautiously kissed back. It felt all too familiar, as if we had been together in past lives. My arms slowly wrapped around his neck and was instantly pulled closer. I ran my fingers through his hair and was about to let him deepen the kiss, when I remembered the mission.

We needed to find Susan and Nicholas. They were my first priority, not divulging into some girlish fantasy that would never come true. Sure I might pay more attention to Alex than anyone I've ever met, but it surely was just respect.

But what if we never had a chance like this again? I pulled myself closer to Alex smiling in the kiss. When his arms pulled me even closer I nearly tripped at his forceful tug and opened my eyes. Then...I noticed something.

I could have sworn his hair wasn't jelled. And that it was somewhat longer than this. And that it wasn't a curly black. Then I noticed Alex staring at me on the other side of the gazebo in dismay with a woman standing next to him, holding a gun at his neck.

I gasped and pushed him back angrily. I studied him for a brief few seconds and my heart dropped. "You!" I spat. "Were supposed to be dead!" I glared, betrayal consuming my once happy mood.

"Happy Birthday Katie." He grinned down at me and I stared over his shoulder at an equally confused Alex.