Chapter Twenty-Three: Scare

I woke up feeling as if someone had poisoned me. I was lying facing the wall and was vaguely aware that I wasn't in my own bed. I groaned and rolled over to come face-to-face with Moxy.

"Oh gods." I exclaimed.

"Oh, sorry, I was told to keep an eye on you."

"Not that close an eye." She was sitting on the floor next to the bed I was in, which happened to be hers, her face so close I could feel her breath. She scooted back a little, but didn't stop looking intensely at me.

"You don't look so hot."

"Thanks." I sat up and immediately laid back down. "Well, if the room could stop spinning that'd be great." I said to no one in particular.

"Sounds like you have a bad hangover." Moxy commented.

"Yeah, well, feels like I have a bad hangover." I responded, even though I wasn't sure how I knew what a hangover felt like.

"Nurse Allison said you might not remember anything from after you left the cabin. And she said you probably wouldn't feel well. And you slept for an extraordinary amount of time." Moxy said, pausing after each sentence. I tried to see if I could remember what happened after we were told that Lilith had died and realized that was my last memory.

"I don't remember anything, I don't feel well, and I'd like to go back to sleep for another three years."

"Please don't." Moxy responded. We sat quietly for a moment until I registered the fact that I had to puke and rushed to the bathroom, stumbling and bumping into the doorframe before vomiting into the toilet. Moxy came in after me and held my hair up. After I had finished, I leaned back against the wall and wiped my mouth off with my hand.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up." Moxy helped me stand up and led me to the sink to wash my hands and brush my teeth.

"Thanks, Mox." She helped me back to her bunk, insisting that it was fine that I used her bed. "Do you... do you think Lilith is still here?" I asked, unable to remember-and therefore unable to think about-anything else.

"What do you mean?"

"Like her spirit or something."

"I think she's probably already been reborn into a better life." Moxy said. "At least, that's what I believe. Why?"

"I just, I've been having weird dreams about her and they seemed so real. Not as real as the one with Sealene but-"

Moxy cut me off. "Yeah, actually, we gotta talk about that."

"Talk about what?"

"Your dreaming of another camper's experience. The Nurse said that she fell and hit her head sleepwalking, but you said something different." She said, her eyebrows knitted together in confusion. I relayed the whole dream to her, and how I heard the Nurses outside talking about it when I woke up.

"Wait, so you're saying that you were in somebody's mind and forced her to... to jump the giant gates? How could she even do that? And to climb a tree? Are you sure you're alright, Syany?"

"I'm almost positive that I was in her head and she was carrying out my wants."

"You couldn't have just made her sleep with her bunkmate?" Moxy joked. "But I don't think that actually happened. Maybe, possibly, you could have dreamed her experience but I doubt you could force someone to do something."

"Fine, don't believe me, but I swear to you that girl tried to escape and I want to, too."

"Why do you want to escape?"