Chapter Thirteen

28th November 1963 (Thanksgiving)

Air Force One (En route to Hyannis Port)

It was quite early, Caroline and John had fallen back asleep and were in the private cabin. Jack and Jackie were seated in relativity private seats at the back.

“Bunny are you okay?” Jackie asked quietly.

“I’m tired.”

“Why don’t you try and have a sleep?”

“I think I will.”

Jackie nodded. She plumped a pillow for him and put it behind his back. He quickly closed his eyes.

Jackie was watching him she was worried about him, the sleeping pills had worked at first but now he was back to not being able to sleep because of the horrific dreams.

Jackie silently felt a tear escape her eye. She quickly got out of her seat and went into the bathroom. She was crying when there was a knock at the door. “Sorry.” Jackie muttered before opening the door.

Clint was standing there, she was about to walk past him when Clint stopped her. “Mrs Kennedy are you okay?”

“Yes I’ll be fine.”

“Would you like me to do anything for you?”

Jackie hesitated. “Could you get Dr Travell and a physiatrist to meet us at our house?”

“Of course ma’am.”

“Thank you.” Jackie said before going to sit back down. Jack was still asleep.

When they were ten minutes from landing Jackie gently nudged him. He woke up slowly.

“We’re just about to land bunny.”

Jack nodded and sat up. “Is my hair a mess?”

“No you look fine.”

Jack nodded. He then slipped his hand into Jackie’s.

Once the plane came to a halt they made their way to the door. Jack could suddenly see a lot of press. Caroline and John had just appeared. “Jackie I can’t do this.”

Jackie looked at him. “What do you mean?”

“I can’t go out there with all those people.”

Jackie gently rubbed his arm. “I’ll be there with you every step of the way; we need to work through this.”

“Ok.” Jack said taking a deep breath.

He took Jackie’s hand and they walked down the steps. He kept his head down and avoided the press. Once they were in the car he relaxed a bit, especially with John on his knee.

He just needed to face his family now but before that Jackie had a surprise in store.