Chapter 7: A wondrous night

"Matthew?" A voice uttered from behind Mary. Matthew looked up to finding an appalled Anne standing on the stairs. Her eyes filled with tears as she ran down to him. 

Matthew opened his arms and Anne crushed into his embrace at once. 

"Oh Matthew! I'm so, so terribly sorry..."She sniffled out while he patted her small head. "I must have caused you so much unnecessary worry!" 

"Unnecessary...No, but we sure did worry about you a whole lot." Anne looked up from his tear drenched shirt. 

"How ever did you find us? I never told you where I went, or well...I did in my letter but that you should know by now, was a lie. Oh Matthew I can't believe I lied to you and Marilla! If you have to than I'm ready for what ever punishment may come." Matthew shook his head at the girl. She hadn't realized how much he missed her frisky talking. 

"It's okay Anne, it's okay." Was all he answered her.

As they stood there, Anne's tiny arms wrapped around Matthew like her life depended on it, Gilbert walked out of the kitchen.

Matthew instantly looked up at the sound of his footsteps. When he saw the boy he gently let go of Anne's arms and walked over to Gilbert.  

"I would like to have a word with you young man." Matthew said, almost surprised by his own words.

"Of course, mr. Cuthbert." Gilbert only dared to answer and the two of them walked over to the living room.  

Matthew cleared his throat before saying:

"It wasn't easy, finding you and Anne." Gilbert looked down, shame washing over him.

"You don't believe how much I regret this sir. Just don't blame Anne for this foolish travel. It was my fault, I should have known Anne wouldn't turn down a chance for some adventure no matter how dangerous it would've been. I shouldn't have let her go with me, I don't know what I thought."

"Well, ehm...Whatever you thought back then, I don't want you to think ever again. Is that clear?" Gilbert nodded shamefully.

"Now I know you are a smart boy. There's no doubt about that. I also know that you--that you care a great deal about my Anne." Gilbert could feel a faint smile on his face from that sentence. "But next time, if there ever will be a next time." Matthew pointed out. "Ask us for help instead." 

"Yes sir, I promise you that. I will always regret the decision I made that day." Matthew smiled at the boy. 

"Good." Matthew said, his eyes flickering back and forth between Anne who was speaking eagerly to Mary, and Gilbert whose sad expression made Matthew realize the boys regret. 

"And again, I'm very sorry." Gilbert said, apologizing once again.

"It's okay...Gilbert, just...Don't do it again." Gilbert nodded firmly and then they walked out of the room again.

"Excuse me for interrupting you mr. Cuthbert, I was hoping you still could eat dinner here before you make your way home?" Mary asked as she walked up to Matthew who was listening to Anne's chattering. 

"That's very kind of you but I think it's best if we make our way home now, before it gets darker." 

"Of course, of course." Mary said as she looked out the window, it was indeed getting darker. 

"Um, here..." Matthew reached out his hand and Mary looked at the dollars laying in his palm.

"Oh no, you don't need to." Mary gestured with her hand at the money.