Chapter 17: The unexpected twirl

"The partner you receive today is the one standing across from you," she walked up to the Anne, standing just as straight and proud as always and said: "which means you,"-she pointed at the redhead-"for example, will be dancing with this young man."

Everyone watched with curious eyes as Mrs. Fournier moved over the floor and Anne couldn't help but feel nervous. Every step towards her partner made her heartbeat accelerate further and further.

"What's your name now again?" The teacher asked him as she neared the boy.

He looked away from the friend he was speaking to, smiled at Mrs. Fournier halfheartedly, answering:

"Charlie Sloane."

Gilbert was undoubtedly and without shame, the most jealous one could be. Never had he thought one of his nearest friends, Charlie Sloane, would come to dance with the only girl Gilbert cherished, Anne.

He looked at her, in the hopes of getting an ounce of her attention-but her eyes were focused on the boy beside him.

The hurt was almost too much to bare for him, and it only got worse the more he let himself look at her. But he couldn't stop, he just couldn't manage to.

Though deep down he knew it was only a dance lesson, nothing worth admiring or care about-still to dance with her would've been. But now he wouldn't get to. He wouldn't get to lead her around the beautiful marble floor, hold her in his arms. Instead he would watch her from a distance, in the arms of another boy-that wouldn't be him.

Anne didn't dare to look at Gilbert, though she could feel his eyes digging into her, almost as if they were begging her to meet his.

Just as Mrs. Fournier had explained how the pairing system worked, Anne had understood that Charlie would become her partner. Still there was something that didn't feel right, not at all actually. As if there was a lump, growing bigger and bigger with every second that went in her stomach.

She tried convincing herself that there was nothing wrong with Charlie to dance with. He was a nice, respectable young man. One of the few boys that hadn't judged her so harshly when she first arrived in Avonlea. But the lump kept on growing and Anne feared it would continue to, for all eternity.

She came to the conclusion that it wasn't Charlie who was the cause of this persistent lump-neither his actions.

But then who...Who was the one that made her feel this queer?

A face flashed before her eyes, if only for a split second, to then disappear just as fast. But she knew who it was in an instant. She could easily spot that face from miles away, although she would never confess that to anyone.

Those soft hazel eyes, the dark thick curls and that sweet heart melting smile...

"Brain, why are you not cooperating with me!" Anne thought frustratingly.

But then a thought came to her...

Maybe, it was possible that it was him?

"Of course it isn't" Anne thought, "Why ever would he--".

Or could he?

Could he be the reason, the cause of this lump?

Maybe she wanted him to be her partner after all?

Anne shook her head, trying to clear her mind from everything relating to Gilbert Blythe. But it was nearly impossible, the awareness of his eyes still being glued on her made it nearly impossible.