Chapter 18: Misunderstandings and mishaps

Old pages turning, a clockwork ticking and loud snoring could be heard in the house at Blyhte's Orchard. In an antique armchair Gilbert Blythe sat, spending the early morning hours to study medical science which Ms. Stacy had offered him.

With determination and fascination he read chapter after chapter, from different types of common diseases, to bacteriology. He found it most interesting to understand the complexity of the human body, perhaps it was one of the reasons for why he'd decided to become a doctor.

A smile was plastered on his face. Not the one where you are pleased with what you've accomplished but a different, more soft-hearted smile, the one that never seems to come off no matter how much you try to.

It had been there ever since yesterday, and had not wanted to vanish. The thought circulating in Gilbert's mind was the reason for it, the thought of dancing with Anne again on Saturday.

Though he was almost certain about the fact that Anne Shirley-Cuthbert didn't think of him as highly as he thought of her, he still hoped. Maybe, to hope was a foolish habit, but when it comes to love, what can you be but a fool at heart?

"Blythe, how many times does it take for you to get it in your head? Sundays are the day of rest!" A newly awakened Sebastian yawned as he entered the living room.

Gilbert closed his book, chuckled at him and placed it down beside him on the armchair.

"You know I won't change my mind Bash!" He said. "And if I want to study at Redmond--"

"--And become a Doctor you need to study frequently, I know," Sebastian interrupted "but it is Sunday!"

Gilbert chuckled once more at him and grabbed the book again.

"Is Mary coming today?" Gilbert asked while flipping through the pages jauntily.

"No...I mean--oh don't you do this to me boy!" He dasked Gilbert brotherly over the head.

"Ow!" He exclaimed dramatically as the book fell to the floor. "Hey! You made me drop my book!"

"So how is Anne? Good? Is she attending church today?" Sebstian then teased.

Gilbert sighed in frustration at him, crouched down to pick the book up as he told him:

"I hope she is more than good...And yes, she is coming to church," he paused "why do you ask?"

Sebastian noticed the way Gilbert's eyes brightened at the mentioning of her name and grinned, it reminded him of Mary. A kind of sorrowful empathy then filled him, and the smile faded. For Sebastian soon realized that the difference between Gilbert and him was that he'd got the girl-and Gilbert hadn't.

"Oh have you ever seen such a wonderful clear day!" a joyful redhead sang out "Isn't spring just the most marvelous of seasons? Ah, I couldn't possibly imagine anything more...Oh what's the word now...Joyous! Don't you agree?"

"Well I--I suppose it would be." Matthew responded, giving the thrilled Anne a faint but loving smile.

"Suppose?!" She exclaimed. "Matthew can't you see it! Don't you just hear it! The fluttering wings of the birds, the waving flowers saying their greetings? I can just smell the scent of spring! Hear the sound of it, see it! Don't you?" Her big sparkling grey-blue eyes looked at him with anticipation.

"It is quite um...Joyous yes."

Matthew then smacked his lips twice, and the wagon began rolling down the red road from Green Gables. The Cuthbert's were heading towards Avonlea Church, as they did every Sunday and Anne was always just as excited. She simply loved the music, the singing and most of all-the feeling of belonging. It was a new feeling to her, belonging so to say, as the majority of her life had been spent at the Orphanage "Hopetown Asylum"-where she never had experienced it, and to add: not filled with hope.