Chapter 9: One lenten rose

The thorny bushes and the trees long branches scratching against his face made it hard to run. The night came creeping upon him, its darkness threatening for what may come next. A red light flashed between the thick oaks and he wanted so badly to catch it, to be near it-but he couldn't.

He kept on running. 

He called out its name, her name. He got nothing in return.

Until suddenly, the red light stopped and looked at him. 

It slowly raised its hand and waved it. 

Just as he was about to do the same, it dissolved into nothing.

"ANNE!"

Gilbert woke up from his dream. His body felt wet and sticky from sweat, his hands were shaking  frantically and his heart thumped fast in his chest. 

"It was only a dream, it was only a dream" He reminded himself as he pulled back his sweaty locks from his face. He rubbed his tired eyes ones before looking at the ticking clock over his brown drawer at the other side of his bedroom. 

It was half past six. 

"Great..." He sighed and got up from his bed, putting his feet into his grey wool slippers laying on the floor. 

His door suddenly flew open and a terrified Sebastian was standing with a skillet in his right hand, ready to hit someone.

"AHHH!" Sebastian screamed, in an attempt to threaten whoever had screamed inside of Gilbert's room.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Gilbert shouted at him, his eyes wide in shock.

"I--I thought I heard someone scream from your room, Blythe! I had to see if we had robbers!" 

"Bash, it was just me! I was dreaming..." A soft red color appeared on his face. 

"If you're always going to be screaming after every dream then we'll have to see a doctor!" Sebastian said jokingly. 

"You know that I will be a doctor in the future?" Gilbert asked, smirking.

"Very funny Blythe, very funny..." He took a closer look at the boy. "Hey, you're blushing!" Gilbert's cheeks reddened even more. "What was this dream really about, boy?" 

"Um..."Gilbert fingered nervously with the button on his shirt. "Anne?"

"Aaaah, so I see." Sebastian grinned sheepishly at him. "I see it was good?" Gilbert instantly shook his head.

"No...This dream was different from all the others--"

"You've dreamed about her a lot!" Sebastian remarked. "But still you can't admit your feelings to her even if your life depended on it..."

"That's not true! And it isn't like that with Anne, we're just friends." 

"A friend wouldn't visit your dreams every night." Sebastian stated and raised his brow.

"But--But--"

"Since we're up, lets make us a fine breakfast!" Sebastian said clearing his throat and waved with the skillet. Gilbert soon followed after, yawning loudly from the early awakening. 

As he looked at the bouquet of flowers in the pot, placed by the kitchen window,  it reminded him of the fact that it was officially seven weeks since he and Anne had left Green gables to find Sebastian-

seven weeks of pure ambiguity.

During the school hours these past weeks, it was clear Anne wouldn't let their rivalry end. Not that he minded it, as long as he had her attention he was more than satisfied.