Chapter Twenty-Eight: A Father's Offer

“What do you think he wants?” Charlotte asked as she looked at her husband, she settled their son down for his nap knowing that he would be leaving soon; his father had requested a meeting with Sergio and he had that it be a private one.

It had been three weeks since they had welcomed their son into the world and Charlotte couldn’t help but worry what her in-laws were planning; she was wearing a yellow cut-out neck blouse and dark jeggings paired with black leather ankle boots, since they’d just come home after having lunch together as a family.

The Sevillian shrugged as he watched his wife, he truly didn’t know what his father wanted and he hoped it wasn’t going to be another talk about him leaving his wife; he had no interest in doing so.

“I have no idea,” Sergio replied as he pushed himself to his feet, he moved to wrap his arms around Charlotte knowing that he would never do anything that would put her or their son in danger; he would do anything to protect them.

The blonde bit her lip as she turned around to face him, her blue eyes looked up at him concerned; she didn’t want to think about what José María could be asking him to do.

“It’ll be fine… my padre wouldn’t do anything that would endanger me,” Sergio said as he cupped her face, he knew his parents weren’t happy about the fact he wasn’t giving up on Charlotte and in the last few weeks they had backed off and let him live his life.

The Sevillian wasn’t going to risk that now, he had a three week old son to think about as well as a wife that he didn’t dare risk losing; his life was finally perfect even if his parents didn’t like it in anyway.

“Just promise me you’ll be careful,” Charlotte whispered as she wrapped her arms around him, she didn’t want to lose her husband and she wasn’t sure what she would do if he was asked to do something that was taken from her.

The blonde was only too aware that José María wanted Sergio back in the family fold, he didn’t care how it was done as long as his son came back to him.

“I promise,” Sergio said as he looked at her, he knew that she worried about him especially when he went to see his family alone; it was as if the blonde didn’t trust him not to come back.

The Sevillian kissed Charlotte as he tried to reassure her, he wished that there was more that he could do to ease her mind; his father was insistent that he came alone and he knew that it had to be important.

“I swear to you Charlie… you’ll never lose me,” Sergio said as he pulled back, his head rested against hers knowing that he was sure that everything would be okay.

***

José María sipped on his drink as he stared at his youngest son, he couldn’t believe that it had been three weeks since he had last seen him; he could see a change in Sergio that he didn’t like.

“How is Mateo?” he asked as he watched his son, he knew that he had an offer that Sergio wouldn’t be able to refuse, one that would work in both of their favours; he needed his son to do this if he wanted to walk away.

Sergio frowned at his father, he didn’t want to talk to his father about his son; he didn’t want to share any information with him about Mateo.

“He is well as is his madre,” the Sevillian said stiffly as he looked at his father, he didn’t know what he wanted but he knew that José María had called him home for a reason and he wasn’t to have a nice chat; he had been called back for a reason.

José María set down his drink, he looked at his son knowing that Sergio wasn’t going to play nice for long; he knew that he had better get to the point and soon.

“I have a job for you,” José María said as he put his hands in front of him, he looked over his desk as he watched his son; he had an offer that Sergio wouldn’t be able to say no to, he knew that he would want to take this job for him.

The Sevillian shook his head, he had made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with his family’s business, he wanted to focus on raising his son and building him a better life.

“I told you last time… I don’t work for you anymore, I’m finished with all of this,” Sergio said as he set down his drink, he moved to collect his leather jacket so that he could leave; he knew that Charlotte would have dinner ready for him when he got home and he wanted to spend more time with his son.

José María watched as his son got to his feet and walked towards the door so that he could leave, he smirked knowing that he would win his son around with ease.

“You do this job for me and then you are free,” José María said making Sergio stop, his hand rested on the door knob as his ears listened to what his father had said; he would do anything to end all of this and go clean for his wife and son.

The Sevillian turned to look at him, he knew that Charlotte wasn’t going to be pleased that he was even considering this; however if it meant that he could live in peace then he would consider what his father had to say.

“One last job and then you can live your life anyway you want,” José María said as he watched his son, he knew that seducing his son back into his business would be easy for this; this would be the wakeup call that Sergio needed to see that this was what he was meant to do.

***

Charlotte swallowed as she watched her son sleeping, she closed her eyes as she ignored her husband as he approached her; she didn’t know what she would say to him after what he had agreed to do.

“Charlie,” Sergio whispered as he reached for her, he knew that she was upset that he had agreed to do one more job for his father; he had promised he’d go clean and straight for her and Mateo, she couldn’t believe that he hadn’t even consulted her first.

“I swear this is the last job I’ll do,” Sergio said as he turned his wife to face him, he knew that she was upset and he didn’t blame her; he didn’t want to do this but he had to if he wanted a peaceful life with her and their son.

Charlotte stared at her husband, she so badly wanted to believe his words and she knew that he would never betray her in anyway but this still made her worry.

“What about the next one he offers you? Or the one after that? This will never be over Sese,” Charlotte said with tears in her eyes, she stepped back from him knowing that José María would never let him go and she wasn’t sure if she could live in constant fear; she wiped away her tears as Sergio reached for her.

The Sevillian sighed as he held his wife close, he knew that she was frightened and he wished that there was some other way that he could make this right; however he knew that his father would never let this go.

“I swear to you this is it for me, I will do whatever it takes to end it now,” Sergio said as he cupped her face, his brown eyes holding so many promises, he knew that she would have to trust him.

The last thing that he wanted was to lose her, he leant forward and kissed her softly before he held her close; his eyes looking at his sleeping son knowing that this was if, he would do this last job for his father and then he would focus on his family.

Nothing else matter to him but their safety.