Chapter Five New Home

Sarah walked out and I followed her feeling out of place. We entered her car and I watched the path she used to get to the apartment. It was a five-story building and she said she lived on the third floor.

"Don't worry there is an elevator in this building," she said giggling.

"Oh that's good," I said chuckling. "After a long shift, I doubt climbing stairs are an option."

"Oh god no!" she laughed.

Once we got to her apartment she groaned softly.

"Home sweet home," she said sighing. "It has been pretty quiet since Brenda and Brandon left, but I try not to dwell on it too much. Welcome to your new home. I know its not much."

"It's beautiful," I said looking around.

The floor was made of a light brown tile and white walls. The couch looked a little old with the sides peeling with a small little coffee table in front of it with a sheet of dust on it. A small dusty TV against the wall pulling the living room together. She walked past the living room to the kitchen. A thick fridge in the corner, with multiple cabinets lining the ceiling and under the countertops.

"Obvious signs of having a big family," she joked. "And neglect."

I looked at the sink seeing dishes piled up and small stains spewed about. She walked through a door and led me to the dining room. A medium sized white wooden table with four matching chairs. Then she took me to a hallway where several doors were. She opened the first door letting me look inside. It had a dark black carpet with light blue walls. One the right side of the room was a desk with a computer on top of it with a small lamp and drawers in its sides. Next to the stand was a long dresser and no posters, but holes were they use to be.

A full sized bed sat parallel the dresser to it with matching sheets to the wall.  To the left of the bed sat a small nightstand and a digital clock on top of it. A single door on the left to which she said was a bathroom. The next room was identical, except the carpet is red and the walls are pink with two doors. The dresser was also smaller and Sarah said the other door was a walk in closet. Curiously I went to it opening it seeing multiple lightly coloured clothing hanging with a large mirror in the corner.

"Emily would love this room," I said chuckling softly.

"Yes, but you don't like yours though," she said very observantly. "I'm a mom with two kids so you can't-fool me."

I sighed smiling weakly.

"I do like the layout of the room, but the colour of the wall bothers me slightly. I use to have a brother and his favourite colour, well our favourite colour, was blue. He died a long time ago before Emily lived with us. So now when I see the colour blue I just remember him and how we use to be. We were really close before he died," I said hoping she wouldn't pry. "I am very grateful though."

"Oh! Sweetie! I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed covering her mouth horrified a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Its okay Sarah, you had no way of knowing," I said smiling reassuringly.

"Well we could paint it," she said.

"It is okay. Honest," I said.

She shrugged contemplating something.

"Well I am starved and really do not want to cook, I'm ordering out. Chinese okay?" 

"Perfect."

"Great! My room is at the end of the hall there. Feel free to use Brandon's clothes. I am unsure how well his shirts will fit you, but maybe they will. If you are going to shower, which you should, I have some towels in the closet across your room," she said. "I'm going to call in an order and change my clothes. You want anything special, besides rice and vegetable rolls?"