Chapter 1: Alissa

I sat on my bed, looking at the gray walls that I did my best to cover up with all different posters of my favorite bands; R5, Green Day, One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer. I know what you're thinking, what 8 year old listens to Green Day? Well, I don't have parents to stop me from it. I haven't had them for the last 6 years actually. Sure I miss them, but music is my escape from the past. 

I don't remember much from the time of my life where my parents were around. I remember my older sister, Cameryn saying that my dad was abusive, and he was the reason for the scar shaped like a line on my tummy. My mom, I don't really know what happened to her. She could be in jail right now, or she could be at home, still confused as to why I wasn't home with her. As far as I know I am the youngest child, but they could've had more since I've been here. Cameryn committed suicide right after I was brought here. She was 19 years old at the time, and she fought for legal custody of me, to take me to get a safe life away from my abusive parents. The judge denied it because she barely had enough money to support herself let alone a two year old. 

She wrote to me the first year I was here. She would always send letters letting me know of my past, so one day I can realize how strong I have been. She would also send me photos of herself so I can remember what she looked like. Every night I still hold the photo close to my heart, sending her my love, even if she can't feel it anymore. When she knew her time on this earth was almost up, she sent me a lot of letters at once, each clearly addressed for each of my birthdays until I am 19 years old. My 9th birthday is tomorrow, which means I can open yet another Cameryn present. 

"Alright kids, time to go to bed, tomorrow's adoption Tuesday! Be ready in the morning and look your best." Ms. Molly said over the intercom. I sighed, another adoption Tuesday where I won't be adopted. 

Another day where someone else will get picked instead of me, some