Part 8

Charlotte ||

"You didn't know my father like I did Charlie," Gilbert said, "you don't know me either," Charlotte felt like her heart was just ripped out and stomped on. The train then pulled up. Gilbert grabbed his suitcase and left to get on the train. "Gilbert wait," Anne said grabbing his arm. "I like you," Anne stated, "and I have for a while just thought you should know," Gilbert nodded and looked to the girl standing right behind her. The girl with ocean eyes and snow white hair. Charlotte stood dead in her tracks not looking at Gilbert. She couldn't bare to see him leave. "Charlie look at me," Gilbert said abruptly. Charlotte shivered at her nickname. She slowly turned around to meet Gilbert's eyes. "This is what's best for me," He nodded, "I will be okay," Charlotte felt the slightest bit reassured.  "Anne your lovely but I like someone else," Gilbert told her staring straight at Charlotte. Charlotte kept her eyes on the ground, trying to fight the tears. Anne opened and closed her mouth like a fish but then finally closed it and smiled. "It's okay Gilbert," Anne said, "Goodbye," and then she began walking down the path to leave. "Are you coming Charlotte?" Anne called. "I'll be right there," Charlotte said. Her eyes lifted to Gilbert's and yet again she couldn't look away. All she wanted to do was wrap her arms around him. That's exactly what she did. She pulled him into a big hug. "Come back one day," She whispered in his ear. "Goodbye Gil," a slow tear escaped her eye. "Goodbye Charlie," he said getting onto the train. Charlotte watched him leave. Charlotte watched the train take off and zoom down the track. Charlotte then turned to face Anne who was half way down the path. Charlotte ran over to her and began walking with her. "I'm sorry that Gilbert doesn't like you back," Charlotte told Anne. Anne scoffed. "I knew he didn't like me back," Anne looked away from Charlotte with pain in her eyes. "What do you mean?" Charlotte asked. "He likes you Charlotte!" She yelled, "and your so oblivious that you didn't realize that you like him!" Charlottes breath got caught in her throat. "And now he's gone," Charlotte gulped. Anne threw her arms around Charlotte. "I should have told you sooner but I liked him I didn't want you to steal him from me," Anne said giggling at the end. The girls wiped their tears and smiled. "It's okay he's going to be okay and we'll be okay," Charlotte said nodding her head. "And tomorrow we'll face the whole class without him," Anne nodded and smiled. "Best friends forever?" Anne asked sticking out her pinky. "Forever," Charlotte said linking her pinky finger with hers.
It was now Monday and it's Charlotte's first day of school without Gilbert. She's not to excited. She has a feeling that Billy Andrews will take this as his opportunity to bully Charlotte again.
Charlotte smiled as Anne greeted her at the front of her house. "Let's go," Charlotte said linking her arm with Anne's. They skipped down the trail all the way to school.
"Oh look it's powder head and orphan," Billy barked. "Do you hear something Anne cause I don't," Charlotte said sitting down next to Anne.  "No I don't hear anything either," Anne replied. They smiled at each other, ignoring Billy's insults. "Where's Gilbert?" Charlotte heard Ruby ask Josie. "He's gone," Charlotte informed the two girls,  and turned around in her seat to face them. Ruby's eyebrows scrunched together. "Don't mind her she doesn't know what she's talking about," Josie told Ruby. "Fine suit yourself but after the funeral yesterday he left on a train I was there," Charlotte rolled her eyes and turned back around. "Okay quiet down class lessons are now in session," Mr. Phillips said walking in.
Like most days, Charlotte thought of Gilbert. This time she was worrying. He could be in trouble right now. He could possibly be hurt, or even dead. Charlotte cringed at her last thought. Gilbert knows how to take care of himself, but she can't help but worry. Charlotte's eyes darted to Anne. Anne was of course paying attention, but Charlotte wasn't. "Charlotte pay attention!" Mr. Phillips yelled pulling her out of her thoughts. "Who are you thinking about Gilbert Blythe?" Billy Andrews teased. Charlotte rolled her eyes, "Yeah I'm just thinking about how he threw you to the floor and beat up that ugly face of yours," Charlotte burst out. "That's enough!" Mr. Phillips screamed. Charlotte is very angry. She picked up her books, and left. Mr. Phillips screamed her name, but she left. She walked into the woods and got herself lost. She screamed at the top of her lungs. She's holding so much inside all she wants to do is let it out. It's been one day without Gilbert, and she's already gone mad. What has this boy done to her?
//
Me: GILBERT WHY DID YOU LEAVE Also me: I wrote this so I don't know maybe I should change it. Hahha no I'm evil.