~ thirty-nine

( chapter thirty-nine;
the dArk side )

( chapter thirty-nine;  the dArk side )

▂▂▂▂

CALEB'S ARM WAS DRAPED around Madison's waist as she slept. Madison slowly slipped into conciousness, a small grumble escaping her lips. Her eyes fluttered open and locked immediately on Caleb's.

She exhaled a soft giggle, smiling at him, "Hi."

"Morning." He responded before pressing a gentle kiss to her lips.

Caleb pulled back a little, the both of them staring at each other in silence, savouring the moment. Madison wanted to stay wrapped up in his arms but she knew she couldn't.

"As much as I would love to stay like this forever," Madison pushed herself up, "I have to get ready for school."

Caleb sat up too, furrowing his eyebrows, "You sure? Because you almost died Madison, and I know the doctors discharged you but what if you faint?"

"I feel fine." She reassured him, "And you know me, I can't just sit around and do nothing all day."

Madison edged closer to him, taking his hand in hers. She glanced to the clock on her wall, seeing how many hours she had left. Her eyes moved until they were staring back into Caleb's doeful brown ones. She continued to stare at him in silence, causing Caleb to become concerned.

His eyebrows pulled together, "What is it?"

She hesitated telling him, running her thumb across the back of his hand. Madison exhaled, "I want you to know that everything that I do from now on is to protect us, okay? I can't lose you again."

▂▂▂▂

Students roamed the hallways of Rosewood High, collecting their textbooks or talking to their friends. Madison dodged around them and headed straight for Ezra's classroom.

She saw him stood by his desk, facing the window. Madison entered the room, closing the door behind her. The noise startled Ezra, causing him to turn. His eyebrows raised and eyes widened in surprise when he saw Madison.

Ezra dropped the piece of paper in his hand to the desk and rushed towards her. His arms opened and engulfed her small frame.

She was surprised by the sudden action but soon warmed to it and hugged him back, "I heard what happened. I'm so glad you're okay."

After a few seconds, they broke apart. Madison glanced up to her half-brother as he continued, "I wanted to visit you in the hospital after I heard, but everyone would've..."