Chapter X: Mountain Glenn

Leaving the room, you make your way towards your former quarters, the path there still ingrained in your muscle memory. Opening the sliding bamboo door, you sigh to yourself as you lay down on the bamboo mat that has been set out for you. Never in a million years did you ever think that you would find yourself back in this place. You toss and turn as you try to fall asleep, but you are unsuccessful. The hard floor isn't what keeps you awake however, rather, you feel uneasy being back at Sun Zhang given everything that's happened here.

Rising to your feet you make your way towards the hall which honors those who have fallen in defense of the Sun Zhang temple. Each fallen warrior has a portrait dedicated to their sacrifice, the higher their rank, the larger their picture. The smallest portraits are those belonging to simple disciples of the monastery. One size larger is those belonging to the older brothers and sisters who had unlocked and mastered their semblance. The largest portraits were those depicting elders, those who had been disciples for 35 years or more. A step further are the shrines, memorials consisting of large murals, burning incense, and the owners' weapons. These were the shrines dedicated to the masters of Sun Zhang that had moved on to the next life.

Walking past all these you enter a tranquil garden housing the shrines of the most honored warriors; the Grandmasters. In the garden are around a dozen stone statues, larger than life. Walking towards the back of the garden you find the most recent addition. A large stone representation of Grandmaster Jiao Kun, the Dragon. In front of the statue is a large stone basin containing a blazing fire. To the right of the basin of flames lies Grandmaster Kun's robes and his shattered spear, Dragon Fang.

Kneeling down in front of the statue, you close your eyes and hang your head in shame, tears slowly falling from your eyes. You can think of nothing to say other than "I'm sorry.", so instead you simply sit there, the flames in the basin casting flicker shadows across your face.

After twenty minutes of silence a voice speaks from behind you. "He would have been proud of you."

Looking up you see Grandmaster Ischi standing ten feet behind you. You hadn't heard him approach. Walking towards Grandmaster Kun's statue, he stops when he's next to you.

Not wanting to talk about Jiao, you hastily try to change the subject. "I see you've been appointed to the council. A worthy choice."

"I'm glad you approve." He says simply. A few more moments pass in silence before he speaks again. "Come, walk with me." Rising to your feet, you walk side by side with Grandmaster Ischi as he leads you around the garden. "I have known Jiao all my life." He tells you, his lion tail swishing back and forth. "He and I became disciples of Sun Zhang at the same time. We trained side by side for years, unlocking our semblance at the same time, becoming elders together. I remember testing with him for our masters' robes. During sparring he kicked me so hard I nearly vomited all over the council." He releases a deep baritone laugh, stopping in front of another statue you knew to be Grandmaster Chil Sung. "He was always more skilled than I was," Ischi tells you, looking up into the stone eyes of Chil Sung. "and so, when Grandmaster Chil Sung passed, he was naturally chosen to take his place." The two of you resume your stroll. "Still, there were no negative feelings towards him. I remember watching his promotion, my chest swelled with pride as I watched my brother's ascension. I was honored enough to be the one to present him with his new robes."

"Why are you telling me all this?" You ask, unsure as to where Grandmaster Ischi is going with his anecdote.

"Brother Jiao was taken from us before his time." He says, his lion ears falling. "But I do not dwell on his death. Instead, I remember our time together with fondness. It is time you forgave yourself Brother (F/N). His blood does not stain your hands, you are not responsible for his death, no matter what the council says."