Chapter 23: Only Human

The once stormy city now bathing in the sunlight, but to consider this phenomena as a blessing or curse is up for debate. The streets are still flooded with protest and chaos as men and women that serve the Everstorm council roam the city desperately trying to keep the peace.

"Everyone! Please! The council has already contacted Caelum's Creed! Their mages shall find a way to bring the clouds back as soon as possible!"
The officer tried his best to calm the crowd down, but all it did was feed the mob as their yells grew louder.

"Seriously?! You're expecting us to trust those freaks?! Their sorcery is what brought us the rainclouds in the first place!"
A man from the crowd yells as his voice pierces through the ramblings of the mob.

"Yeah! And while you and your officers are using up all the backup power in running your tech! The rest of us are suffering in the heat!"
Another civilian speaks up I'm unrelenting anger, pointing her finger at the officer's face.

The police man was silenced by the overwhelming hatred and rage of the crowd.

"I sure hope those blue suits knows what they're doing." He mumbles to himself.

Meanwhile, to keep his only son from harm's way, the mayor sent Nero to a remote place in Everstorm with a group of elite guards protecting him. As the loaded van continued to drive through the empty streets behind the high castle walls, he looks through the tinted window, trying to grace his face with the warm sunlight. "Ma, how long has it been since the city has seen the sun?" His eyes filled with wonder.

"Well, long enough. The city adapted to it's environment through the use of science and technology. But now that the environment has changed once again, it looks like we'll have to adapt to it the second time." She smiles at him, swiping a strand of her short red hair aside.

"Do you think dad thinks I'm a freak?" He turns away, staring out the window filled with strange shaped rocks. His statement unsettled his own mother as her eyes widened in shock.

"What?! Nero how could you say that?! Of course he doesn't, your dad loves you!" She places her hand on his shoulder, trying her best to comfort him.

"Then why did he leave us? Why did you have to remarry?" The boy's continuation felt bullets to her heart, knowing her child felt that way all along.

"Nero, it isn't your fault. Your father and I parted ways simply becausewe weren't happy with each other anymore. That doesn't make me less of a mother to you, or less of a son to him."

The boy swiftly wiped a tear that dripped down his face. He turned to her and with a nervous tone he said:

"Mom, I'm scared. I don't know what happened. All I remember was the incident in the alleyway and that's all!" He lays his back on the van's seat. "Now they think I'm a freak."

His mother removed her hand from his shoulder before replying. "Well, you know how citizens can behave today. When something catastropic takes place, they do their very best to look for someone and something they can blame. They may seem passionately angry and strong in the outside, but really? They're afraid. Afraid of change, of the unknown."

The boy smiled at his mom's statement. "Well, I guess in the end, they're only human."

The woman chuckled and ruffled his hair, causing him to laugh.

"You are too."