II: The Chariot

With plenty of food, nice clothes, and a girl with a sense of humor, Felix had nearly no complaints. His only complaint was that he was there in the first place.

     He knew he was not alone in this. As he looked around the training facility he could see the faces of many who simply wanted nothing more than to go home. However, there were some that looked like they were having fun. Cocky kids; confident in their abilities.

     When they were finished training for the day, he and his partner, Jisoo, watched the tv for their scores on their training evaluation. Felix earned a 6 out of 10 while Jisoo had 9. Jisoo consoled him and he shrugged it off.

     "That won't determine my life or death." Felix said.

     "That's the right attitude to go in with!" Their mentor, Jackson, told them. "But it could determine how others see you. You could use it to your advantage. If you're a small fry, they'll think you'll die on your own. No reason to go after them." He explained.

     Felix watched as he stood up off of the couch and poked his nose into the fridge before grabbing something to drink and retreating back to the couch.

     "So what you're saying is, I could avoid people?" Felix asked. Jackson tilted his head. He seemed unsure as to whether he should nod or not.

     "Not avoid, but definitely don't go hunting for them. Don't become a threat. For Jisoo however, you're a big threat to them. You shouldn't avoid them but rather make a title so they avoid you." She acknowledged the advice, nodding and sighing.

     "Making a title means I'll have to throw all morals out the window." She said. She had a small smile on her face. It looked like she was trying to cover up her anxiety from the way her lips were shaking. "Thank you. I think I'll go to bed. It's getting late."

     As soon as she was out of earshot, they began to talk. She was acting strange. Anxious and sad compared to her usual self, looking on the bright side, cracking jokes and trying to make Felix smile.

     "I think the pressure has finally gotten to her." Jackson pointed out. Felix nodded, looking to the floor.

     "I have no doubt that she wouldn't hesitate to kill me if we were the last people left."

     "If it meant living, then would you?" Jackson asked, reacting quickly. Felix felt his stomach roll at the dreadful question. He heaved in a deep breath.

     "I don't think I'll live long enough to make that decision." He told Jackson who hummed as he drank from his cup.

     "If that's what you think, that's what will happen." He said.

     "No matter what I think, I can't change the future."

     "Neither can you determine it just from thinking." Jackson threw back. Felix was caught by him. He had nothing smart to say back. He had to admit that Jackson was right. If he didn't think he could, be wouldn't try, and if he didn't try, he wouldn't survive. "Look, if you don't want to, all you have to do is jump off that podium when you get to the arena. It'll blow you into pieces. But I know you won't do that. You're smarter than that."

     "I want to live... I just... Don't know how." Felix sighed. His eyebrows furrowed together in frustration.

     "That's why I'm here. I'm here to give you advice and that's exactly what I'll do." The latter told him. He reached over and patted his back. "Now, go get some sleep. That's step one."

     Felix obeyed and headed to his room where he sat down on his bed, playing with the channels on the tv like window, changing the settings. He settled with one that had rain falling on a city. He stared at it and thought of the day.

     There were a few tributes that stood out to him when he watched the tv. Some he noticed he should stay away from and some that supppsedly weren't so dangerous. The biggest threats were Seo Changbin from district 12 as well as Jessica Hyunju-ho from district 1. They both got the highest scores. 10 out of 10.

     Other threats were Bang Chan from district 9 and Lee Know from district 2. They had ended with a 9. Another strong pair was Hirai Momo from district 12 and Han Jisung from district 5. They landed in eight.

     The one that Felix could not shake off was Yang Jeongin. He had the lowest with a score of 3 out of 10. Jeongin looked innocent. Fresh, easy meat. However, Felix had no intention to go after him. Not only did he not want to, but he felt like protecting him.

     However, it could be like Jackson said. He could be hiding behind it and actually be a killer. Maybe he was just a big liar. Felix didn't know. Didn't quite care to know. Too tired to wonder. So he closed his eyes and let himself drift off into sleep.

______________________________________

Chapter preview:

     His name was Yang Jeongin. He got the lowest score on their evaluations however, Jeongin had the best aim next to his own.

*

     Home... What was home to Chris?

*
     It only took four words for him to disappear.

     "I volunteer as tribute."