Final: The Hanged Man

He stood there, staring into the dark eyes of Hyunjin. Chris had to admit, it was nerve wracking. No, nerve wracking was an understatement. There was fear pulsing through his veins, making his brain cloudy with anxiety. His lips shook as he opened his mouth to speak.

     "You protected us... From Changbin..." He started. Hyunjin simply nodded as surely as the artificial sun in the sky. However, Chris was even more confused. "Why?"

     "To keep you for last." He said it as if it were obvious, but his words blew through him like the wind through an opened window. Chris furrowed his eyebrows and Hyunjin chuckled. "I've been watching you. The whole time. In the training facility, and here. There's just something about you, Chris..." He said, trailing off. His voice became deeper. "Something that makes me want to see you take your last breath and makes me want to take your lovers last breath. I wanna see the fear on your pretty face."

The thought of that made Chris shake. He felt disgusted and angry. Someone had been watching him the whole time like a lab rat. He glared at Hyunjin's smirk and Hyunjin just raised his eyebrows. Felix slowly took the dagger out of his left shoulder, wincing as blood gushed out.

"Just get down here and fight me, you coward." Chris taunted. "Don't hide in the trees. They can't protect you anyway." He said, raising his bow back up.

"Hold on, Channie." Hyunjin said. The nickname made Chris cringe. "I'll make a deal with you-"

"I don't want to hear it!" Chris said. He shot an arrow up but it missed, hitting the tree trunk. "Next time, it'll be your head!" Chris shouted. Hyunjin chuckled.

Hyunjin jumped down from the tree, leaves crushing beneath his feet as he walked over to Chris. Chris didn't move as Hyunjin walked closer. He couldn't. His feet felt heavy when he tried to draw them back, like his shoes were filled with cement. Hyunjin came closer until he stood directly in front of him. Chris stared at him, a glare playing in his eyes. However, Hyunjin simply smiled.

"Wow, you're even more charming up front." He said. Chris flinched back, frowning in disgust. He moved a hand up to Chris' chin and Chris pulled away.

"Don't touch him!" Felix yelled, jumping forward. However Hyunjin turned to the other boy and threw him a glare, causing him to halt.

"Watch it." He told him. Hyunjin moved quickly as he grabbed Chris by the shirt and pulled him closer and into a headlock. "If you do anything, your precious Channie's neck will be snapped." Hyunjin threatened. Chris just stared into Felix's eyes, using his eyes to motion towards his hand. Felix followed his eyes and Chris made a signal with his right hand. Hyunjin kept Chris stuck with his left arm as his right arm pulled a dagger from his belt. He placed it along Chris' neck, dragging ever so slightly across the skin.

Chris motioned toward the knife with his eyes again as Hyunjin rambled on, pressing the knife so closely as to draw blood. Felix finally understood, looking to the dagger he had taken out of his shoulder. Felix stood up and Hyunjin gripped harder, causing Chris to flinch and gasp for air.

"I said don't fucking move!" Hyunjin yelled. But Chris nodded as Felix held the dagger by its tip. Hyunjin laughed at the two. "Are you serious? Your aim is far too off for you to hit either of us, I'd like to see you-" He let out a gasp as Felix threw the knife, landing in Hyunjin's right tricep. The boy was forced to let lose of his grip as the sharp dagger hit an important muscle.

Chris took the chance to elbow Hyunjin, completely breaking free of his grasp. He kicked the other over, grabbing the dagger from Hyunjin's arm, landing it in the latter's throat.

"Go to hell." Chris seethed, watching blood pour from Hyunjin's wounds. The other boy gasped and coughed and Chris just turned away. He looked a Felix who's face was full of tears. He ran toward Chris, wrapping his arms tightly around him.

"What... What do we do now?" He asked as they walked away. Chris didn't answer, holding Felix's hand tightly. Chris already had a plan in mind, however he knew Felix would object.

"I... I'll die for you." Chris told Felix. Felix's eyes widened and he shook his head frantically.

"Chris, don't!" Felix yelled, face covered in tears. "Don't you dare think of that! I can't live without you! I won't!" He shouted.

"One of us has to win, Felix."

"Then let's just kill ourselves. Then we'll be together." He said. Chris held his hands, shaking his head. He tried his best to reassure him, however, a tear stained fearful face was far from comforting.

"Felix, it's not your time." Chris told him. "You're not supposed to." He said. Felix shook his head.

"No. Please, Chris." Chris engulfed him in a large hug.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I have to, Felix." He said crying. "You'll live. In the victors village. And you'll find someone to love and you'll have a family. I know you will." Chris told him. "I'm not the most important thing in your life. You have so much more. So please, use it."

"But, Chris-"

"Felix." He hushed him, pulling away and looking into his eyes. "I love you."

Those words sent Felix into a trance. His mind fluttered with thoughts. Thoughts of what they'd never experience together. They'd never be able to just lay in bed on a lazy morning, admiring the sun's glow in one another's skin. They'd never be able to prepare the other one dinner and smother them in cuddles for when they come home after a hard day.

They'd never be able to hold each other passionately and get to know each other fully. To love skin on skin, completely and whole. That was something they'd never experience together. Felix looked at him and pressed their lips together.

"I love you too." He said. "But please, don't do this to me." He pleaded. Chris held him again, tighter this time, kissing the top of his head.

"This is not the end, Felix." He told him. "I promise you." He whispered. Felix cried and held him closer, grasping onto his jacket. His breath began to heave and he sniffled.

"Chris, no. Please!" He pleaded. Chris rubbed Felix's back softly before moving away and wiping his tears. He smiled at Felix. He leaned in slowly, letting their lips touch. Felix shut his eyes, trying to concentrate on Chris' beaten up lips.

But Chris pulled away too quickly for Felix to even get a taste. The smile on Chris' lips seemed to waver a bit as he looked Felix in the eyes. He squeezed Felix's shoulders before letting go and backing up.

"We'll meet again in Summerland."

That was the last thing he said before he let go and ran the other direction, not letting Felix get a good enough glance to run after him. Felix's eyes widened and his arms felt empty.

"Chris... Chris! Chris come back!" Felix shouted. But there was no sign of him. Not until a cannon was shot. Felix fell to his knees, wrapping his shaking arms around himself. He was gone. Now Felix was alone. Felix never thought he would have won. And he never wanted to win like this.