VIII: Eight of Swords

Felix stared with wide eyes, frozen in fear at what he had been faced with. Seo Changbin stared into him harshly with his permanent smirk and twinkling eyes. Felix had to admit, the man was attractive, but he was deadly.

     "What do we have here?" Changbin asked, tilting his head. Felix gulped and kept eye contact, to scared to look away. He felt that if he did, he'd be killed.

     Changbin's eyes pierced into his, demanding an answer, taunting him. Felix just held his mouth open, unable to speak. He blinked as tears came to his eyes and Changbin laughed.

     "Not very talkative are you?" Changbin said. The woman behind him laughed. Jessi Hyunju-ho. Another threat.

     "I can't tell if he's scared or hard." She said, laughing. This made Changbin laugh. The only two who were not laughing were Felix and the second girl. When Felix caught sight of her, he knew why.

     Jisoo.

     He felt his blood run cold.

     "He's from your district, huh?" Changbin asked, turning to Jisoo. She nodded slowly, staring down with wide eyes. "Is he any good with anything?"

     Felix didn't stand a chance. If she were to tell the truth, Changbin were to off him right then and there. He was of no use to people who had such high scores.

     So Jisoo lied.

     "He's really crafty and sneaky." She said. "He used to steal from the market all the time for me. He would set up traps and bring back squirrels to sell. He's good." Jisoo fibbed. All of that was a lie.

     Felix never had to steal. Felix never caught a squirrel. Felix never even met her before the games.

     Changbin moved back a bit, humming and nodding. He stared at Felix with a straight face. It was as if he were reading Felix's mind. Staring deep into his eyes to find the truth.

     "I guess we'll keep you alive." Changbin said. "For now." He added before turning around.

     "I don't like the fake stars." Jeongin said. He and Chris stared up at the computerized sky, looking at the fake stars.

     "Neither do I." Chris whispered back. A song began playing and Panem's symbol appeared in the sky. It was the time for the fallen tributes.

District 2: Irene
District 3: Wow
District 4: Kyoko
District 5: Jihyo
District 6: Lisa
District 8: Wonpil

     Chris turned to his side once it was over, looking to Jeongin. The boy had fallen asleep. He looked peaceful. Chris wondered if Irene was at peace.

     He could not get her face out of his head. He was so scared that he might steal another persons life. He took a deep breath in and stared back up at the sky. The artificial stars were better than nothing. Chris closed his eyes and let sleep steal him into a dream.

     He woke up a bit later to harsh shaking. When he opened his eyes he saw Jeongin over top of him, eyes full of fear. He was sobbing and crying at Chris.

     "Chris we need to go I- I just... She tried to hurt us and I... I killed her. We need to go!" Jeongin said quickly. Chris sat up, staring at a pool of blood just a few feet away from him. The woman lying in it was Jennie Kim.

     Chris stared at Jeongin. How had he not heard the cannon shot, let alone Jeongin killing her? Was he that exhausted? Jeongin didn't seem up to answering questions as he packed his thin sheet into his bag as well as Chris' leaving no trace other than Jennie's body.

      "I hate this. I hate these fake stars and I hate this game and I hate human beings." Jeongin said under his breath. "Why do they want this?" He dragged Chris, who was still half asleep, through the forest. They found a tree and climbed up, Chris on the lower branch and Jeongin up higher.

     Chris looked up at Jeongin who looked back down. Jeongin was almost questioning him with the expression on his face.

     "How... What happened?" He asked. Jeongin knew he was referring to Jennie. He was still shaking from the adrenaline rush.

     "I thought she was an animal... All I could hear was the grass moving so I took got my knife and threw it at her. I didn't know. It hit her throat and she bled out almost instantly." He explained with hesitation in every word.

     Chris reached up and held Jeongin's hand which dangled from above him. He gave it a reassuring squeeze as it shook in his palm. Jeongin weakly squeezed back.

     "It's okay. You didn't know it was her. It was self defense." Chris told him. The younger boy stayed quiet.

______________________________________

Chapter preview:

     They found me.
*
     It happened quickly. Too quick for Chris to react.

*
     "This is what you want? This is what you fucking want for entertainment?!"