VI: Ace of Swords

"Chris. This is the last time I'll see you so here." Nayeon said. She handed him something from her hand. It was a ring. "This is my emerald. It sounds dumb but it will warm up when I'm around." She said.

     "Thank you." Chris said quietly. Nayeon pointed to Chris' chest and engulfed him in a hug.

     "There's a secret pocket I've sewn into here. You can put your cards in it. They won't let you bring them into the arena but Key let me do it. Thank him." She said, sniffling into his shoulder. "Now go." Chris silently nodded and they walked their seperate ways.

     Chris was met with Key. He helped Chris into his jacket and handed him his cards. He showed him the secret pocket allowing him to place his cards into it before zipping up the jacket.

     "If you take this out in front of a camera, they'll come for you."

     "You can do this." Key told him. "If I could I'd be your biggest sponsor. But Onew and I will get your name around. He's taught you well. You can do it." Key told him. For the first time since he got there, tears began to spill from Chris' eyes. He shook his head.

     "No... I can't..." Chris cried. Key gripped his shoulders, grounding Chris. He looked him in the eyes.

     "Don't say that. I promise you can." He told him. He took off his amber necklace and put it around Chris' neck. "Take this. Whenever you're scared, look at it. Remember that you can do this."

     "If I die... I don't want you to look. And if I kill anyone... Please don't look." Chris said. Key nodded.

     "You won't die." He engulfed him in a hug as the countdown began. Chris held him tightly. Key pulled away and pushed him towards the platform. "It will be okay." Chris took a deep breath as the doors closed. His eyes widened and he shook his head.

    "No, Key! No, I can't!" He yelled. The situation was finally setting in. He was going to the arena. He closed his eyes. When he opened them, there he was. Standing on the platform in front of 23 others.

     His eyes sweeped over his surroundings. He caught sight of Jeongin, his face pale like he had just seen a ghost. Chris didn't blame him. He was terrified as well.

     He caught sight of Nayeon. She looked over at him and simply nodded her head as if to tell him It would be okay. He nodded back and closed his eyes as the countdown began.

     10

     He felt his heart speed up.

     9

     Pumping in his ears

     8

     Deafening him

     7

     He shook with a number of emotions

     6

     Fear

     5

     Anger

     4

     Anxiety

     3

     His breath was rapid

     2

     He heard nothing

     1

     Then a horn

     And the show had begun.

______________________________________

Chapter preview:

     "Chris, I can't do this. I'm so scared."

*
     "This place is clear, come on."
*
     "What do we have here?"