V: The Chariot in Childhood

Bird songs were heard through open windows that allowed light from the morning sunrise to peer into the house. Cicadas chirped from the heat and morning dew dropped from flower petals and blades of grass.

     "Mama?" A young boys voice called out from the living room. Little feet patted across the floor quickly towards the woman. She stood in the kitchen, stirring a pot of porridge. They had been eating it for a week, however, Felix never seemed to tire of it.

     The soft woman looked down to see her son holding up a story book at her. "My Name is Blessing" the cover read. It was his favourite. However, he could not read so he was always making mama or his sisters read for him.

     "Can we read this again?" He asked with a smile. His eyes lit up like fireflies as his lips spread from ear to ear. Mama laughed at him. They had read the same book every morning and night since she bought it for him. She picked the boy up, balancing him on her hip and showing him the porridge.

     "Dearie, mama's making breakfast." She told him. Felix pouted and sighed. "Why don't you go ask Rachel to read to you?" The little boy shook his head.

     "She's playing with Olivia." He said with a huff.

     "Then I'll read to you after breakfast." And so she did. She read it to him as many times as he wanted her to. Every time he said 'again', she'd flip back to the first page and read it all over again.

     Remembering those times was painful for Felix. As he stood in a capsule, staring outside at his stylist with a blank expression. The only emotion to come from him were a few tears. The constant security of the gates and walls around district eleven began to feel much more pleasant.

     He wanted to go back to his home. Back to the place he was loved. Back to where he could feel warm. Back to where he could be himself. Back to his sisters. Back to his book.

     Back to mama.

     However, he knew he could not go back to his 'cozy' home in district 11. Or at least not as the same person.

     Not as Lee Felix, but as a killer.

______________________________________

Chapter preview:

     "You can do this."
*
     "If I die... I don't want you to look. And if I kill anyone... Please don't look."

*
     And the show had begun.