XVIII: Five of Swords

The cornucopia had been refilled with memoirs from the tributes families. The plan was for Jisung and Nayeon to collect the memoirs while Felix and Chris went hunting. When the sun began to set, they were all meant to meet up at the river.

     Felix and Chris waited for a sign of any sort of animal to show up, however their luck seemed cut short. A cannon startled the two, causing thoughts to run around in Felix's head. What if that was Jisung or Nayeon? Thoughts like those. He was brought out of his thoughts when they approached a field of flowers.

     The flowers ranged from all colours, red, blue, pinks, purples. The whole rainbow had been laid out in front of them. Felix marveled them,

     "Oh wow, they're so pretty." He said, reaching forward. Chris stopped him and looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

     "It's disgusting." He scoffed. Felix was taken aback by his remark.

     "Why?"

     "Look." Chris said, picking up a flower, he rubbed it on the back of his hand. Almost immediately the patch of his skin began to burn red, puffing up in tiny bubbles. Felix's eyes widened.

     "Chris, you should clean that!" He panicked.

     "It's fine, it's only a bit." He said. Felix nodded, sighing. They walked away from the flowers. Chris stopped Felix as he heard something, placing his hand over the latters chest. He motioned Felix down and they both crouched behind some tall grass. Chris sighed as he heard footsteps of an animal trotting away.

     "Dammit. We're gonna have to resort to eating birds again." Chris laughed. Felix sat down and shrugged, Chris following suit. Felix grabbed a stick, threw it into a bush and Chris shot as many birds as he could.

     "Um... I've been meaning to ask..." Felix started. Chris looked at him, curious as to what he was going to say. "Why... Why did you kiss me the other day?" Felix asked. Chris let out a small, nervous laugh. He knew he had to explain himself at sometime.

     "Uh we're starving right now and this is what you're concerned about?" He laughed. Felix looked unamused.

     "Chris." He said sternly. Chris nodded.

     "Fine. I think... I really like you, Felix." He said quietly. Felix just nodded and the two sat in silence. Chris was fine with that. He felt a smaller hand creep onto his, holding it loosely. Felix's hand was warm and soft. It was nice. They sat there for a bit, almost forgettiing the situation in which they were in.

     "I hate this... This isn't fair." Felix sighed. "I really like you too, Chris... But... I know I'll die before you-"

     "Don't say that. I'll protect you no matter what. I promise. And I'll never turn on you." Chris told him firmly. Felix looked at him sadly before engulfing him in a hug.

     "It's not fair..." Felix cried.

     "It's not fair!" Minho cried. Jisung sighed.

     "I know, I know." He whispered, petting Minho's hair as the older sobbed into his shirt.

     "I don't have anywhere to go now... What do I do, Jisung?" He asked. Jisung's thoughts were cloudy.

     "Maybe you can stay with me. My parents have no problem with us." Jisung suggested. Minho shook his head, looking at Jisung with tears in his eyes.

     "That will cause more suspicion and my parents might say something." Minho explained. Jisung let out a large breath.

     "I want to run away with you." He said quietly. "I just wanna get out of here. That way we can love without people hating us. We can love without feeling guilty for being in love."

     "I'd never feel guilty about loving you..." Minho said. "I love you too much to let them get to me."

     That night, Minho disappeared from district 5. The single Alstromeria in the vase on the dining room table began to rot. As well as Jisung's sense of happiness.

______________________________________

Chapter preview:

     "How do we know there's no trap this time?"

*
     "I'm afraid of God."

*
     "He's not suffering or in pain. He's very happy right now."