XX: Judgement

Felix jolted awake to the sound of a cannon. He looked around, making eye contact with Nayeon who had also woken up. The sun was just rising, making it easier to see and easier to notice that Jisung was missing.

     Felix gave Nayeon a knowing look and the two looked around before waking Chris up.

     "We should look for him." Felix suggested. Nayeon looked down and let out a deep breath.

     "What if... What if that was him?" She asked. Chris shook his head.

     "Don't... Don't think like that." He said. He began to pack his things. "We need to look for him." He said. "Come on." Nayeon and Felix didn't budge.

     "Chris..." Nayeon started. "I think that was him." She said.

     "Stop that. We need to look for him." Chris said. Felix stood up and followed him.

     "If we can't find him before dark, we'll know then." He said. Nayeon sighed and stood up, giving in and joining the search team.

     The three of them split up, looking for Jisung. It was already noon and another cannon had gone off. Chris couldn't shake off the feeling that either one of them could have been Jisung. However, he continued to deny it.

     Felix was ready to give up on looking. There was a feeling biting on him that Jisung was long dead and gone. He sat down in a clearing, looking up at the sky. It was disgustingly bright, the sun optimistic despite the circumstances.

     Felix didn't understand why Chris was so intent on finding Jisung. If he's dead, leave it. That means you're closer to winning. He had thought. He was brought out of his thoughts by the sound of a twig snapping. He turned around quickly to see district 6's Kim Seungmin.

     Both of the boys eyes widened as they made eye contact, freezing in their tracks. Seungmin made the first move, running towards Felix. Felix bolted the opposite direction.

     Unfortunately for him, Seungmin was extremely fast, catching up and tackling Felix to the ground. Seungmin pointed a knife towards Felix's throat. The latter shut his eyes, using all his strength to pry Seungmin's grip off of him.

     Seungmin's grip suddenly loosened and Felix opened his eyes to see why. There was a dagger in his head. He fell forwards, blood pooling from the injury. It was an instant kill. Felix's eyes widened and he gasped, moving away from the corpse. He felt his breath speed up and he looked around fearfully.

     The only thing he saw was the back of a stranger. However, by the way the stranger had killed Seungmin, he could only guess it was district 7's Hwang Hyunjin.

     Felix decided it was time to look for Nayeon or Chris. He didn't feel safe being alone anymore.

     Chris stopped in his tracks as he heard another cannon go. Oh no, please no. He thought. He looked to the ground, gasping when he saw a familiar looking card. The Justice card. The one he had given to Jisung. His eyes widened and he picked it up.

     "That way... He's over there." He said, hurrying towards the direction. He held onto the card tightly, letting it guide him. He walked a bit before he stopped in his tracks again. He looked around before dropping the card and gasping as he looked up at the trees.

     There he was. Jisung. In the trees. Chris covered his mouth as he felt his stomach reject his insides. He shut his eyes, dropping to the ground.

     "Jisung, no..." He said quietly. "This is my fault..." Chris said.

     "Chris!" He heard Felix's voice. Chris turned his head, seeing the latter covered in blood. Felix looked up to where he was looking, seeing Jisung. He ran towards Chris, embracing him tightly. "Oh God, Chris. Don't look."

      "This is all my fault, Felix..." He cried. "I told him about Summerland and that he shouldn't be afraid of death... This is my fault." He explained. Felix shook his head.

     "No. It's not." Felix said firmly.

     "Felix, who... Who's blood is this?" Chris asked, his voice shaking. Felix took in a deep breath.

     "Seungmin from district 6." He said. "I ran into him and... I think it was Hyunjin from district 7... He killed him." Felix told him.

     "Why is he... Protecting us?" Chris thought aloud. Felix didn't reply. He stood up, helping Chris up as well.

     "We need to go meet with Nayeon at the river." Felix said. That was where they said they'd meet just before the sun set. Chris nodded and the two made their way to their destination, hand in hand.

     By the time the two reached the river bank, another cannon had gone off. Chris' ring felt cold. They began to understand why as they walked a bit further. The two were met with district 10's Kang Seulgi. Underneath her was a dead body.

     Nayeon's body. Thousands of Stan wounds littered her body as Seulgi just kept stabbing her. As if she wasn't already dead. Chris ushered Felix behind him and drew an arrow.

     "Get away from her!" He shouted. The girl kept going as if she was trapped in her own world. So he let go of the string and the arrow aimed straight for her heart. Seulgi toppled over, gasping for air. Felix shook like a leaf behind Chris.

     He'd had enough. All he wanted to do was go home.

     "No, no, no..." Chris said, approaching Nayeon's body. Felix grabbed him and turned him around swiftly, holding him close.

     "Don't look." He told him. "You don't have to look, Chris." He whispered. Chris nodded, burrying his head in Felix's shoulder and sobbing.

     When the sun set they watched the tribute to the fallen.

District 1: Kim Woojin
District 5: Han Jisung
District 6: Kim Seungmin
District 9: Lim Nayeon
District 10: Kang Seulgi

     Chris watched over Felix as he slept and began to wonder what it would be like if they had met in a different life. A life without games or rules on love. One where they could live happily and without fear.

     That's all he wanted.

______________________________________

Chapter preview:

     "I... I'll die for you, Felix."

*
     "I said, go! Now!"

*
     "Interrogate me then, I suppose."