Chapter 12: Cave-Hill part 3

Holly was extremely upset. Not only did she not get to see Kat, Hayley or Azie for half of the school week because they were on camp, but just as her group arrived at camp, she saw the other buses pulling away. She had to grit her teeth and use all her willpower to not sprint after the bus screaming, come back!

In the end, Nate had to grab her by the hair to stop her from doing just that. It was extremely painful, and Nate earned himself a kick in the place where the sun-don’t-shine for his troubles, but he effectively held her back, something most people could spend years weight-lifting for, and still get dragged along with her. Holly was starting to respect Nate more and more every day.

Once Holly was done staring forlornly at the bus’s dust trail, she joined Maisy and Nate as they trudged along after the rest of the students, who were all talking excitedly. Holly accidentally bumped into a guy who she instantly assumed was new, because when he turned around, his face was unknown to her.

“What do you think you’re-“ he was cut off when he saw looked at her face. “S-s-sorry” he stammered, suddenly looking self-conscious as he reached up to comb his fringe back. He was kind of cute, but definitely didn’t look like the kind of guy she would go for, Holly decided. He was still staring at her, and Holly heard a strange growling sound behind her. She turned around, and was surprised to see Nate scowling at the boy, a quiet growl coming from his throat. Nate suddenly seemed to realise she was looking at him, because he put on his poker-face and stopped growling. Holly gave him a look, before turning her attention back to the unknown boy.

“Its fine” she told him, smiling. “I should have been watching where I was going.”

The boy smiled at her, looking relieved. He held out his hand, “I’m John” he told her, smiling a tiny bit. Holly was slightly distracted by a dimple in his cheek, which was just below his eye. Holly could get distracted by anything. It was one of the reasons she was such good friends with Kat. They both had attention spans about the length of Holly’s pinkie nail. Some conversations that they had with people went a little bit like this.

Person: Hi Holly, hi Kat, how are you?

Holly: I’m good thanks, how about- OH MY GAWD A BUTTERFLY!

Kat: BUTTERFLY? WHERE?

(Holly and Kat then both take off chasing the butterfly, leaving whoever it was they were talking to standing there in confusion.)

At least Kat has an excuse. Holly thought. She does have ADHD and all.

Holly managed to answer John however. “My name is Holly” she told him, shaking his outstretched hand. John grinned at her, and looked as if he were about to say something. Suddenly, however, a voice cut through the crowd.

“JOHN! Where are you!?”

A girl walked towards them. She had long, curly brown hair, and Holly recognised her instantly.

“Well, what do we have here? If it isn’t the school slut, also known as Lili.” Holly muttered. Lili glared at her, before tossing her hair over her shoulder and turning to John. She handed him a bag that looked quite heavy,