XIX

more warmth runs through my body from the heater as i walk through the door of the compound. Ace's hand tightens around mine as if i'm going to disappear into thin air.

"i'm gonna kill them," i hear Ace mutter. he's been whispering death threats to himself for the past five minutes and i'm starting to get worried.

"Ace," i whisper. his eyes snap to me, wide and worried.

"stop it. i'm right here, i'm okay just calm down okay," his eyes move back and forth, looking at the both of mine. he leans down slowly and presses the lightest kiss on my temple before standing straight and nodding.

we walk through halls until we stop in front of a big wooden door painted black. Ethan who's in front of us opens the door and steps in. i don't make any move to follow him as no one else does. a few seconds pass before two people move into the doorway.

"Gray?" Amelia asks with wide eyes. i see them tear up slightly and her hands start to shake. i step forward, letting go of Ace's hand and wrap my arms around her shaking body.

tears start hitting my shoulder as she sobs. my grip on her tightens as i feel myself start to get tearful. Amelia quickly pulls away wiping her eyes before shaking me across the head.

"oww," i whine grabbing my head. i feel Ace go stiff behind me and his hand move to my back.

"you idiot! where have you been?!" she screeches. i shrug softly sending her soft glares.

"well if you're don't abusing the poor girl Amelia, i would like a hug," Jaymes pushes past her and wraps his arms around me.

"god i was so worried about you," he whispers. he pulls back grabs my face running his fingers softly over my cheeks. he gives me a sad smile, stepping back and putting an arm around Amelia's shoulder.

"let's go guys, give her some space for a second then we can take her to her house," Ethan says grabbing Amelia's hand and walking down the hall. Sebastian and Jaymes follow them giving me toothy smiles.

"i'm gonna go home before anyone notices," Eli says stepping back. i nod softly. i open my mouth to say thank you before someone beats me too it.

"thank you so much," Ace breathes out stepping forward and wrapping his arms around Eli. Eli's eyes go wide in shock and i giggle softly as he wraps his arms around Ace patting his back.

"my pleasure," he whispers. Ace pulls back patting his shoulder and moves back to my side.

"i'll see you again," he says nodding and turning around and walking away.

"come," Ace says pulling me into the room.

"what are you-" my words are cut short when i spot a small black tail pop out from behind the corner.

"Ev?" the tail stops wagging and Everest turns around with a toy in his mouth. his head tilts to the side as the toy falls from his jaw.

"hey baby," i whisper kneeling down. his tail starts wagging again so fast that his whole body moves with it. he runs straight for me and i get scared that he will hurt himself running into me.

his small body crashes into my chest and i fall back slightly, letting out a laugh.

"hey there," i rub his stomach as he rolls over. i stay there playing with him for a few minutes before i stand and turn to see Ace gone. i walk around until i find him in one of the rooms past out on the bed.