2: A Crossing of Souls

The Octoling sat in her room, contemplating what had happened two days ago. That Inkling had saved her from certain doom; she wasn't registered to the spawns littered around Inkopolis, so she would have been gone forever.
Since that fateful day, she couldn't get that Inkling out of her head. Stinger, he said his name was. His cold mint eyes... yet with a twinkle of warmth in them... Stop thinking about him, her mind ordered herself. He was in the past, and she probably would never see him again...
"Sis, you got a visitor!" A male voice called from below. They never got visitors. Could it be...
She jumped off her bed and ran towards the entrance.
And he was there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been two days since Stinger had saved that Octoling. He had been on the run from authorities for both those days. When the three respawned, they immediately alerted the nearest policesquid and told him the story — their version of the story anyway. In their version, they had been greeting the new Octoling when Stinger jumped down and attached them with his Inkbrush.
Today, he was on the rooftop of Ammo Knights, thinking back to that day.
She said to visit her... but I don't want to invade her family's privacy... Mixed thoughts swam through his head as he wondered where he would go next.
"Hiding in plain sight, eh?"
A voice came out from behind Stinger, and quick as a Smallfry, he jumped up and whipped out his Inkbrush.
"If you're an polocesquid, you're out of luck. I'm not going anywhere."
"I'm not an authority. I just heard about your extreme handling of your brush. Why do you think you have that power?"
"Practice, when I was younger."
The figure chuckled."Tell me, Stinger Rayno, do you remember anything, much less training, from 'when you were younger'?"
Stinger tacked his brains for memories, tragedies, anything that happened when he was a young squidling. Nothing. As far back as he could remember was when he moved into Inkopolis, and even that was fuzzy.
The figure chuckled again."You see? Your experience is something else. And lucky for you, I just happen to know what that something is."
Stinger was so wound up he just dashed in, attempting to take the mysterious Inkling by surprise and corner him. Instead, the opposite happened.
The figure had his arms crossed, like he was warding off a blow. Does he not know that ink isn't stopped by flesh? ran through Stinger's mind before it happened.
He heard a small crack — his ink tank breaking. The ink swirled out of it, and formed a circular barrier between the figure and Stinger. His Inkbrush clashed against the barrier, doing no harm to the figure. He smirked, and thrust his arm towards Stinger.
The ink barrier switched to his color — Yellow in stead of Dark Blue, Stinger's color — and rocketed towards him.
Roll left! A voice shouted within him startling him into obliging. With that he barely avoided the giant projectile.
The Inkling's face morphed into one of shock."Wha- how?" Was all he could get out.
Now Zigzag toward him and slam him with your shoulder! We want him alive! The voice commanded again. Could it be right a second time? Stinger did as what was told, making him a hard target if he was being shot at. He slammed his shoulder into the figure and his momentum sent them both crashing onto the rooftop.
"Now, who are you, and how do you know me?" Stinger asked, breathing heavily, his Brush's tip at the opposer's throat.
The strange Inkling looked him right in the eye. "Do not listen to the voice. It will lead to your demise," was all he said, before turning into a Squid, wriggling our from beneath Stinger, and Super Jumping away.
"Cod dang it!" Stinger cursed.
He escaped this time. He won't escape again. The Voice Within spoke once more.
"Thanks for the save." Stinger thought.
It is my duty to make sure you are safe. Well, it would be, if you listen to me.
"Why would I not listen to you?"
Because of what he said.
"I'm going to listen to you because he said that."
Oh.
"Yeah. So... do you have a name or something in mind I can call you?"
My real name is a bit strange, so you can call me May.
"Alright May. Why do you sound like a male if you have that name?"
Not important. Now I think you have someone to see?
"Oh yeah." In his disturbed state, he forgot about the Octoling and the invitation she gave him. "I'll go now."
Good, May said before falling silent.
Stinger took a deep breath."Woo boy, I'm in for a long trip."

2 hours later...

Stinger got to the entrance of the subway. "In I go," passed through his mind as he descended.
"Hello?" His voice echoed through the subway as he looked around for startling blue eyes.
"Hey," a cheerful voice came from behind him. With his most recent encounter he was still a bit skittish, so in a second he had his Brush to the figure's face.
"Woah, woah, I'm friendly!" The make Octoling exclaimed. He had blue eyes like that Octoling, and that strange one-tentacle hairstyle."Not many Inklings go into the subway. Are you the one my little Sis has been talking about?"
"Depends on who your sister is."
"Well, a few days ago, my sis — her name is Artemis, by the way — went out to the surface, where she was cornered by three Inklings. One named Stinger butted in and saved her."
"In that case, yeah, that's me," Stinger replied, putting away his Brush.
"Got it, I'll call her down." He cupped his hands and yelled,"Sis! You have a visitor!" He quickly said to Stinger,"The name's Cole by the way. Hope you two have fun." Cole walked into a room — his room, most likely — and closed the door before Stinger heard creaks from the ladder behind him.
And there she was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Woo, 1016 words. Who is this mysterious Inkling Stinger encountered? What is May's real name? What will happen between Stinger and Artemis? Find out next week, unless I get impatient.
Thanks for sticking around this far!