3: A Kind-Of Quest

Both the Inkling and the Octoling stood, staring at each other; mint eyes into blue. Thoughts were swirling around them like mist.
Artemis broke the moment by rushing to Stinger and enveloping him in a bear hug. He turned stiff, a faint blush appearing in his cheeks. Artemis realized what she had done, and blushed too. She stepped away from Stinger and, awkwardly, struck up a conversation. "It's been a while."
"Yes."
"I never got to thank you for that save back there."
"Don't mention it."
"Soooooooo... what's happened since then?"
Stinger shrugged. "Oh, I've been hiding on a rooftop, and today I was confronted by an apparently-not-an-authority who controlled my ink. Then a voice inside my head appeared and helped me defeat him, so I have something named May giving me advice now. Perfectly normal."
"..."
"What?"
"Sarcasm, right?"
"The last part was, yes."
The two broke out into hearty laughter.
Stinger continued."Anything exciting happen down here?"
"It's underground, what did you expect?"
"True." Stinger took a thorough look around for the first time. "So where is this, exactly?"
"Deepsea Metro, Line A."
Stinger stared at her. "The place Agent 8 came from?"
"The very same."
Also where I came from... May spoke inside his head.
"What was that?"
Nothing, nothing.
"Stinger, are you okay? You look... distant."
He snapped back to the conversation at hand."May spoke, but I didn't catch what he said."
Artemis had a pensive look on her face."Hmmm... this May character seems suspicious to me."
"Well, he kinda saved my life from that psycho Inkling dude, so he's probably fine."
"If you trust him, I guess I can trust him." Artemis answered.
"Wait, why would you have to trust him?"
Artemis brightened immediately. "Because I'm coming with you to the surface!"
"What! Why?!"
Her face morphed into a serious one. "Because, one, I want out of this dark, boring place, and two, a Brush should probably have a sniper covering his back."
"She's smart. I can't find a way around that." "I promise I'll come back when you can go to the surface. Our relationship with the Octolings is still a bit rocky."
Artemis sighed in frustration. "Stinger, my whole life has been a promise. A promise to get to the surface. I've done so much— passed tests, endured loss, and even waited for a promise that would hold back forever. I'm not waiting longer. If I'm not going with you, I'm going alone."
Stinger knew how she felt. He would never know his past if he didn't push past his boundaries, like what Artemis was saying now. "Okay. You can come. On one condition."
"Name it."
"If you're watching my back, let me watch yours."
"Deal."
They spent the rest of the day planning. They would exit the underground in the cover of darkness, night, and find a place to camp out.
Stinger had one last question though. "To be clear... what is your purpose for going to the surface?"
Artemis hesitates. When she spoke, her voice was laced with sadness. "When I was a little Squidling, a villain called Commander Tartar squidnapped my parents and sanitized them, turning them into merciless killing machines. Agent 8 ended their empty lives and defeated Tartar, but a fraction of him is still out there. I'm going to find that fraction and destroy it. He can't hurt anyone else."
Stinger nodded. "A noble cause. I like it."
It's for nothing. Tartar cannot be defeated.
"Not if we have anything to say about it." Stinger spoke aloud.
"Stinger, who are you talking to?"
"Sorry, it was May. So what are we looking for?"
"Any hints of turquoise in hair or eyes. That could be Tartar using his sanitizing DNA."
"Got it."
And they set the plan in action.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stinger pokes his head out of the underground. "All clear," he called down, before completely leaving the entrance. Artemis followed suit.
"Ah, the wind. I always imagined it as a blanket, wrapping around everyone. This feels much better than what I imagined." She closed her eyes in bliss.
Stinger chuckled. She was kinda cute when she did that... "Stop thinking like that!"
He snapped out of it. "Come on, let's go find shelter."
The two departed towards Central Inkopolis Square. Strangely, everything was lit up.
Stinger slapped his head. "Cod dang it, I totally forgot?"
"Forgot what?" Artemis questioned, still relishing the wind on her face.
"It's Splatfest! People are gonna be everywhere! C'mon, let's get to the weapons shop!"
"Why the weapons shop?"
"We both need new gear. In the battle against that Inkling, my ink tank cracked, and you simply need a new ink tank."
They rushed into the shop, Artemis' hands over her tentacles.
"Hello, hello! What can I get you today, my dear Inkling?"
"Hey Sheldon, could we buy a few things? My friend here needs some new equipment, and my ink tank cracked."
"Got it. You and the Octoling will get what you want. By the way, how did the ink tank crack?"
"How did you even figure that out that fast? Anyways, I kinda had a fight on your rooftop earlier, and the dude cracked the tank."
"Ah yes, I heard noises above. I'll get you an ink tank in a flash." He turned around. "Telk! Get me two ink tanks, please!"
"Coming right up!" A voice shouted back. Moments later, an Inkling came out with one ink tank in each hand. He sported a pair of Designer Headphones, and a World Championships shirt, with a pair of Trail Boots. He turned to the pair and said, "Anything else?"
Artemis spoke before Stinger. "Why yes. Could you fix up my E-Liter, and maybe add a scope to it?"
Telk gave her an appraising look. "I like the way you think, miss. Give it to me and it'll be back shiny and scoped." He went back to the materials room, E-liter 4K in hand.
Stinger elbowed Artemis. "What are you thinking Artemis?"
"Arty, please. It can't hurt to have more range."
"But it'll cost extra!"
Arty shrugged. "So? It's real easy to get money around here."
Stinger sighed. He was in for a long journey.
Little did he know what was in store for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's a day late. Yesterday was filled with Splatfest. By the way, 12 reads so far? It may not seem like much, but it means the world to me. Thank you all so much!
Next week on Inked Over Secrets...
Something will happen. Wow. Bye for now!