Chapter 16

"Please leave me alone Giselle" They were walking down the school hallway. Carter wasn't being his self today and Giselle noticed.

She noticed the bruise on his arm, she noticed the cut on his lip and cheek.

"Why? Who did it to you?" She questioned again.

"No one, I told you that" He avoided eye contact, and physical contact.

"Baby please just talk to me" Giselle pleaded. Almost tearing up.

"There's nothing to talk about, just go away" it was scary how he looked at Giselle, almost like he wanted her to disappear.

"No" she was stubborn, maybe that's why he liked her so much.

"Fine, I'll go" he walked away from her, leaving her dumbfounded and upset. So upset that she punched the locker.

'Why won't he talk to me?' She thought. Almost tearing up, the pain in her hand wasn't important. But the pain he must be feeling was.

They went the rest of the day not talking, as if they didn't know each other. Their friends noticed but didn't speak on it.

Giselle drove him to pick up his sister then took him home, not a word was exchanged.

Going into her room, she groaned in her pillow, frustration rising inside of her.

'Well, if he wants to keep things from me then he can do that, I don't care' she knew she was lying to herself.

On the other side of town, Carter was in his room. Hiding from his parents as they shout at one another. He didn't know why his parents still live together when they are divorced.

They have been for two years but they still insist on living together and making his life hell.

"IF YOU ACTUALLY WORKED AROUND HERE, WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO STRUGGLE TO LIVE ALL THE TIME" his mother shouted.

*SMACK*

He heard erupt from the kitchen, and his mothers cries for help as he continued hitting her.

Carter walked from his from and saw his dad standing over top of his mother.

"Come here" his father said to him. He stood where he was, not moving a muscle until his father grabbed him by his hair and started beating him, for nothing.

"Don't EVER talked to me like that again bitch" his father said to his mother before hearing a door open and slam shut.

Carter looked over at his bleeding mother.

He didn't feel bad, he wanted to but he didn't. He couldn't.

His mother looked up with tears in her eyes.

"Not so fun when it's you, is it" he said in a monotone. His mother sobbed.

Carter walked back up to his room and picked his sister up.

"Where are we going?" Taylor asked in a sleepy voice.

"Giselle's house" he put on a fake smile, his pain being mild.

"I'm sorry Car, your face has boo boos all over it" His sister said.

He put some clothes in his book bag and proceeded downstairs. Seeing his mother still on the floor.

"Carter please help, I think my arm is broken" his mother pleaded.

Carter looked at her with a blank face.

"You get use to it" he said and proceeded out the door.

He limped down the street and to the bus stop. Holding a sleeping Taylor in his arms.