Chapter Three

I hear Sean trying to catch up to me, but I’m faster than he is. Two years younger, about five inches shorter, and much smaller, I could easily beat him in any race. I guess his looks don’t define his athletic capabilities. I suddenly realize that that race will take place in the Arena, and he will probably be killed quickly. I can hear him stumbling, trying to run faster, but falling over all the prairie dog holes. Even though I’m not used to this kind of vegetation, my feet know where to go and what to avoid. I run swiftly, gaining speed as I trust myself more than ever. I finally stop at a creek, sit on a rock and let my feet soak in the cool, clear water. I hear Sean huffing behind me as he slowly walks over to where I’m sitting.

“Damn, you are fast,” He says, trying to catch his breath. “How did you not fall into a hole?”

“I dunno. I guess I just trust myself more than I trust anyone.”

“You know what you remind me of?” He asks me.

“A fox.” We say together. He looks surprised that I knew the answer. 

I sigh as I explain, “Everyone says I look like a fox. Heck, even I think I’m a fox sometimes.” I laugh. It feels good to laugh. “When I was little, I would try to get my hair on top of my head to give myself fox ears.” Sean laughs, and we both sit quietly. I hear Jane coming, obviously unimpressed. “Here comes Jane,” I tell to no one in particular. Sean looks behind us, seeing a red-faced mad-eyed woman, storming up to us. 

“How did you know?”

“Her walk is loud and heavy. How did you not hear her?” Sean just shakes his head. We slowly get up to walk past Jane and into the stopped train. As I walk up to the window to jump back in (doors are for lazy people), I notice other people’s faces. I didn’t realize that the other tributes are on the same train as us. I notice one girl, with dark brown hair in a braid looking away, with a serious look on her face. She looks like someone who has seen a lot in her years.

“Autumn! Why did you do that! You are lucky you weren’t killed!” I quickly turn to face the high voice behind me. It’s Celeste Lani. The lady who pulled my name out of that ugly bowl. I so do not want to see her right now.

“Autumn, are you listening to me?” She squeaks again.

“Yes,” I murmur. I’m tempted to say that it’s actually a shame that I wasn’t killed because that would save me a lot of drama, but I keep my mouth shut for the time being. Before Celeste can say anymore, there is a loud thump in the car next to ours, and Celeste hurries away. I guess some other tribute is as pissed off as I am. I go to sit at the table to eat some fruit, when Sean and I hear some other Capitol lady practically scream, “THAT’S MAHOGANY!” Sean and I look at each other and burst out laughing. Of course someone from the Capitol would freak out about a piece of wood, even if it’s real.

“I really want to meet who ever hurt the mahogany,” Sean quietly says to me, so Jane doesn’t hear. I smile and eat my fruit. It’s a shame that Sean and I were reaped, but at the same time, I would not have become friends with him. I guess I have to make this one way trip the most fun I’ll ever have. First step is to let my guard down to only a few people. Sean being the first.

As the train starts back up and continues on, I sit obediently and listen as Jane starts going on about how the Arena can, and will, change. And no matter how much we try to out run the system, we will die if we don’t fight. It will either be death by tribute or death by computer. I personally rather die at the hands of a computer than being murdered in cold blood. I dunno, I feel like I’d die with a little faith in humanity if the Arena kills me.