Chapter 5

Two days after Marshall and Kevin had their fight I woke up to one loud ass rain shower and a dark,grey sky.The lights in my large bedroom remained switched off as I looked at the television blankly,not even realising what was even projecting across the screen.Every now and then a few warm tears slipped out of my eyes and I continued to drown in my sorrows,alone.Not even a change in the weather could have cheered up my mood.Josh was at home which meant that I wasn't completely alone.He was sleeping peacefully in his bed with his favourite teddy bear tucked in his little arms.

My body jerked in shock when I heard the loud car horn outside.How could I not remember that Marshall was coming over?I quickly pulled on a more suitable outfit and washed my face before dashing down the stairs,carrying a now awake Josh.I peered through the curtains to make sure it was Marshall and saw him quietly leaning against the chair in my porch,his eyes fixated on the patterned tiles under his feet.I became slightly nervous when I saw him,I always did.Whenever Marshall was around my shy side descided to show its self.

"Hey Marshall"I said quietly and pulled open my door.

His eyes left the floor and darted towards mine before he smiled softly at me.He walked closer and pulled me into a warm hug,his strong arms around my waist.I couldn't help but lean closer into the hug as I smelled the strong,manly cologne that he was wearing.

"Hey Charlotte"He said softly in reply.

I grasped Marshall's hand tightly in mine,ignoring the knots forming in my stomach and pulled him into the living room.I asked Marshall if he wanted anything to drink but he denied,claiming that he was completely fine.Before I had even managed to emerege a conversation I caught Marshall's eyes fixed on Josh who was sat on the side of me,completely caught up in the show that was playing on the television.His eyes creased in confusion but he quickly softened his features before he turned to me.

"So this is your nephew,Josh?"He asked and reached beside me to pull Josh into his arms.

My heart swole at the sight before me.Josh's attention was completely on Marshall,his show forgotten.My nephew stared up at Marshall with nothing but joy in his eyes and Marshall looked equally as happy.While I sat there silently the two engaged in their own little conversation.It was odd and completely sweet at the same time.Even though they looked so cute talking to each other I had to remember that a thirty nine year old and a two yeard old were having their own discussion.

"Sorry to disturb you or anything,I just wanted to talk to you about the other other day"He said,finally tearing his attention away from Josh.

"It was stupid to get into a fight with your friend"

"It's fine Marshall,really.It's not your fault Kevin's so stupid"I said and caught sight of Josh who had fallen asleep once again,this time in Marshall's arms.

"I'll be right back"I assured and took Josh in my arms.

I held Josh's sleeping body in my arms and ascended the staircase before finally reaching his bedroom.I tucked Josh into his bed and switched off the lights,making sure to leave the little lamp on.My eyes diverted downwards to Josh to see if he was still sleeping and finally my eyes scanned over the picture of Jason on his bedhead.I wiped the warm tears from my eyes and finally left the bedroom,trying my best to remove the image of the picture from my mind.

I slowly made my way back to Marshall whose eyes were focussed on the television in front of him.His eyes instantly made their way to me as I sat beside him on the comfortable sofa.I became confused when he stared at my face with his eyebrows slightly creased,a worried expression on his handsome face.

"Why were you crying?"He asked and scooted closer,resting his hand on my knee.

"I wasn't crying,Marshall"I said and chuckled softly,"I'm just tired,that's all"