Decorations

*Sherlock POV*

"Pass me the string of lights please Sherlock."

Mycroft and Greg left yesterday, promisung to be back fir the holiday. William and Hamish are excited, happily helping put the decorations up on the tree. I pass John the lights he asked for, stopping when I see what is packed just under them in the box.

"John, come look."

He walks around the clutter, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"What did you find?"

I gently pull a pair of ornaments from the box, carefully un-wrapping them.

"We still have those?"

"Apparently."

I look down at him, laughing when I see the stunned expression on his face.

"From our first Christmas together. In the flat."

"Yep."

"You kept them?"

"I thought they were lost. I'm not sure how they ended up in this box."

Hamish and William look up from what they are doing, walking over to us. I pass mine to William, and John passes his over to Hamish. We watch the boys carefully hang the pair on the tree, right next to each other. I smile sadly, remembering when we got those. They were a wedding present from Mycroft, a pair that reminded us of something that happened when we were dating. An otter and a hedgehog. The boys continue setting up the tree, adding on all the science apparatus I have in the boxes. Its an inside joke of ours, mine and Mycrofts, for me to add on a new piece every Christmas. This year, I add on my favorite graduated cylinder. John has never asked about the tradition, as he hasnt with many other odd things Mycroft and I do during the holidays.

"It looks wonderful."

"It is."

The boys run into the kitchen when the timer dings, excited to pull the baking from the oven. Mycroft gave then an early Christmas present, one of his favorite christmas cookie recipies. They decided to try it out, insisting they do it on their own.

"Can we frost them now?"

"Not yet, you have to wait for them to cool first."

"Why?"

"So the icing doesn't melt."

"Can we plug in the tree?"

"Yes."

They run back into the sitting room, sliding under the tree to plug in the lights. William gets there first, jamming the plug into the wall socket. He hands the control buttons to Hamish, crawling out from under the tree as he pushes the button to turn on the lights. The tree lights up brilliantly, dazzling everyone.

"Its brilliant. Good job boys."

"Thank you papa."

I stare in silence at the tree, noticing how well put together it is.

"I love it."

Someone knocks on the front door, so the boys run excitedly to answer it. Its only a week to Christmas, but mummy shouldn't be here till two days before. I reach up and pull the chain loose, opening the door. Mrs. Hudson steps it, commenting on how warm the house is.

"How are you boys?"

"Good. How about you?"

"Wonderful dear. Absolutely brilliant. Is Mycroft here?"

"Nope. He left already."

"But those are his cookies I smell, right?"

"Yep. He gave the boys an early present this year, his favorite recipe."

"It smells wonderful. I brought you two an early present as well, and I found something I'm sure you older boys will like."

She hugs everyone, pulling two wrapped presents from her coat pockets. The boys tear through the wrapping eagerly, grinning wildly when they see what Mrs. Hudson brought. She knitted them stockings for the mantle, they love it when she knits them things.

"Thank you Mrs. Hudson."

"You're welcome boys. Go get those hung up so you have them."

They run out of the room, chattering excitedly as they start hanging them above the fireplace. Mrs. Hudson pulls two more packages from her pockets, handing then to John and I. We open them quickly, smiling when we realize what she brought us.

"You saved these?"

"Of course."

They are the stockings she knitted for us our first Christmas in the flat. We hang them up beside where the boys have hung theirs, heading into the kitchen with Mrs. Hudson to do the now cool cookies.