Chap 14

It was when voices pointed out that Miguel realized his sleeve fell off. He grabs hold of Maria's hand and they running off down an ally way before getting stopped by a giant alebrije roaring in their path. They scream in terror and watch as mama Imelda makes herself known.
"This nonsense ends now Miguel! I am giving you my blessing and you will take Maria home!" She yells from the top of the creature.
"I don't want your blessing!" Miguel and Maria run up a set of stair and get get stopped by a locked gate.
"Miguel stop! Think about Maria!" Imelda yells.
"I'm on his side!" Maria yells. "I wanna sing, but I can't because of you."
"I am saving your life Maria!"
"You're ruining my life!"
"What?" Imelda looks at Maria shocked.
"I do wanna go home. I really do, but...I don't wanna go home if I can no longer sing." Maria admits.
"Music's the only thing that makes us happy. And you wanna take that away." Miguel says.
"You'll never understand." Maria finishes. The two kids start to walk away but stop when Imelda starts to sing.
"I thought you hated music." Miguel says.
"Oh, I loved it. I remember when my husband would play, and I would sing. And nothing else mattered. But when we had Coco, suddenly, there was something in my life that mattered more than music. I wanted to out down roots. He wanted to play for the world. We each made a sacrifice to get what we wanted. Now you must make a choice." Imelda says, hoping Miguel would listen.
"But, I don't wanna, pick sides. Why can't you be on our side. That's what families supposed to do. Support you." Miguel starts to tear up. "But you never will" the two kids run off and continue on their way to Ernesto's tower. When they get their they wait in line to go up. When it's their turn Miguel talks to the security guard but is then thrown out. Maria runs over to him.
"What now?" She asks, crouching down. Miguel looks over to the sound of music to see los chocolacos. Miguel stands up and rushes over to them, Maria just a few steps behind.
"Hey it's poco loco. You were on fire tonight." One of the musicians says.
"Thanks, hey, musician to musician. We need a favor." Miguel claims into the trombone as Maria puts on one of the spare uniforms, carrying the guitar. The security guard let's them pass and they board the tram. Miguel is then blown out of the trumbone.
"Heh, thanks guys." Miguel laughs. As they are on the tram, Maria removes the uniform off of her other clothes. When the tram stops, Maria and Miguel rush off in hope of finding Ernesto. As the get farther they hear a woman point out Ernesto.
"There he is Maria!" Miguel calls.
"Let's go." Maria and Miguel then follow after him, but he doesn't hear them. When they get inside, they see huge television screens on the walls playing different parts of Ernesto's movies. Of course Miguel and Maria are unable to get De la Cruz's attention. Maria turns to see the part of the movie with the nun.
"Miguel. He will listen." She repeats. "To music."
Miguel smiles and they climb the wall to the top of the stairs. Once at the top, Maria belts out a loud grito, gaining everyone's attention. The two start singing "the world es me familia" until Ernesto turns to them. They continue singing as they get closer and closer. But fall into the pool in front of Ernesto. Ernesto runs and jumps into the pool. Maria swims up as De la Cruz grabs Miguel and pulls him up.
"Are you okay niños?" He asks. He gasps when he sees their flesshy faces. "Its you, you are those children. The ones who came from the land of the living."
"You know about us?" Maria asks.
"You are all everyone has been talking about. Why have you come here?" Ernesto asks confused.
"I'm Miguel, your great great grandson?" Miguel finally says.
"I have a great great grandson?" Maria looks confused at Ernesto's reaction.
"I need your blessing, so we can go back home and be a musician, just like you. The rest of our family, the wouldn't listen. Burning hoped you would."
"My boy, with a talent like yours, how can I not listen?" Miguel hugs onto Ernesto hapilly until Ernesto places him on his shoulders. "I have a great great grandson!"