« There's always something that brings you back to the start. » (Luke's POV)

I can't believe I just said what I said. I mean, I meant it, and she basically already let it slip that she loves me too, right?
Fuck. She does right? Or did she just... say it because of the adrenaline? Or something? I don't know man, I just wish she'd say something instead of looking at me in silence. She has this look on her face, every emotion seems to come up, but I can't figure out which one is which. Can't figure out if it's confusion or disgust, anger or sadness...
God Lucy, please say something.

- « Luce? Please say something? I'm sorry if I freaked you out I just... » I start.
But she stops me. With her mouth.
That sounded weird. Basically, what I mean is, she kissed me.
Wait. She's kissing me. DUDE.
It's not a make out. Actually our lips aren't moving. They just stay there, glued,  like they are pieces of a broken vase being fixed and stapled back together.
It's not a make out. But God, there are fireworks. So many fireworks.
People are wrong when they say that the magic is always there in relationships. It's not. Eventually, the butterflies in your stomach subside, your heart doesn't race as much when you see them. It doesn't me you don't love them anymore, it just means that you've been together for a while, that you're used to their love. But there's always something that brings you back to the start. For me, this is it.
She slowly pulls away and looks at me. But not the way I was hoping. She hasn't looked at me like that since she broke up with me. Which doesn't make sense.
Why does she look like that just after kissing me? Does she regret it or something?

- « Luke, I... »

- « Shouldn't have done that, yeah, I get it. » I say getting off the bed.

- « I was going to say I love you too. »
My heart skips a beat. So she does love me. But..

- « But? » She looks at me confused. « C'mon Luce, I see it on your face. There's something else. »

She takes a deep breath.

- « Luke Robert Hemmings. I love you. Have since the beginning, and haven't stopped since. But... I don't see how we can be together... »
My heart drops. « ... right now. »
Okay, not what I was expecting but at least there might be a future. Maybe. Who freaking knows at this point.

- « Why? » my voice shakes, I was hoping not to get emotional for the millionth time today, but I can't.
The woman I love loves me back yet she doesn't want us to date again.

- « Alex just found out about you Luke, I don't want her to be more confused... and then there's you, you just found out, which is a pretty big deal mate. And then, there's us. There's a lot of history between us, but also a lot of hurt and lies, especially on my part, and I just think that... » she pauses. « ...that... we need to work through that... » she pauses again.

- « ...as friends? » I ask, but it's more of a statement.
She nods her head and mouths « for now. » before tears fall down on her cheeks.

- « So... » I sit back down. « ...does that mean it's not forever? »
She looks up at me, and kisses me on the cheek.
I'll take that as a yes.
She wipes her tears and gets of the bed quickly and smiles, holding out her hand.

- « That can wait though. Let's go make sure our kid doesn't crash from all the sugar. » she chuckles.
I grab her hand and get off the bed, laughing as well.

- « I can picture the multiple ice creams she has in her tiny hands, one from each uncle. »
We both laugh and head towards the door, hands still locked.
We look at each other for a moment before she says:
« I can't wait for the day I get to do that again. »
And walks out the door.