Suspicions

Stuart's POV

"Liz Martin's office," I answered the phone making Liz smile.

"Hey Stuart."

"Hi, Mr. Chetty. What can I do for you?"

"Is Liz free for a lunch meeting today? It'd be with a few of the department heads."

I looked up to see her watching me. I sent her a wink as I pulled up her schedule. "Her lunch is free."

"Perfect. Schedule it for 12:30 today. I will send her an email explaining everything." He was about to hang up when he added, "You're doing a great job, Stuart."

"Thank you, sir." I looked over at Liz and smiled.

"Keep it up," he said before hanging up.

"What was that about?" Liz giggled.

"You have a lunch meeting with Chetty and a few other department heads. He's going to send an email explaining everything," I said the smile never leaving my lips.

"Yay," she sighed making me laugh.

"Come on," I laughed. I stood up and walked over to her desk, sitting on the edge of it. "It won't be that bad." I reached down and took her hand in mine, subconsciously rubbing circles on the back of it.

"It's a lunch meeting with Chetty and a table of old men who, through the entire meal, are undressing me with their eyes."

"But, free food," I smiled, trying to reassure her even though I hated the idea of them looking at her like that.

"True," she laughed. "It's always worth it when there is free food."

I looked at her, unable to keep myself from smiling. "You going to be okay eating lunch without me?" She teased.

I let out an exaggerated sigh making her giggle. "I guess," I said, putting my hand over my heart. "I'll probably eat lunch with my friends."

"I like your friends," Liz said softly, looking down at our hands with a small smile on her lips.

With my hand that wasn't holding hers, I lifted her chin so she was looking at me. "They like you too," I whispered.

*****

After Liz when to her meeting, I met up with my friends for lunch. "Hi Stu!" Neha smiled as she gave me a hug.

"Hey guys," I said as I pulled away from the hug and sat down.

"How's work going?" Billy said, sending me a knowing look.

"Work is good," I shrugged, biting my lip.

They didn't know about Liz and I. Whenever they asked, I always told them that we were fine and that nothing was weird. They never believed me, but they went with it.

"That." Neha said quickly, pointing at the smile on my face. "Right there. That smirk."

"I am not smirking," I said quickly.

"Okay, fine. That smile. That smile is the reason I never believe him when he says nothing happened between him and Liz." Neha said, turning towards the rest of the group.

"I don't know," Yo-yo stuttered.

"Just because he smiles when he talks about work, doesn't mean he is secretly banging his boss." Nick said, trying to give me the benefit of the doubt.

They just looked at me, but I avoided their questioning gazes as I opened my soda. "No. Way." Neha said slowly. I bit my lip when I heard her squeal.